+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three year old pool getting lumps under the liner.

Default Three year old pool getting lumps under the liner.

My three year old in-ground liner pool is getting horizontal lumps underneath the liner. I'm concerned that it may be rust. I'm hoping that it is the foam padding between the liner and the pool wall bunching up, but the lumps seem pretty hard and the foam padding hasn't slipped down from the top.

Any liner pool guys out there with the 411 on my 911?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Three year old pool getting lumps under the liner.

Thank you Watermom, this really has me concerned. I forgot to mention, In these areas, I've had ground water bubbles between the liner and the wall.

Also My pool is a 16X32 in-ground
    Salt water pool.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Yo, Gfresh - welcome to The Forum!

With high ground or 'surface water issues - I'm gonna double down and say that it is the wall foam. (I'm assuming that we are talking about the walls of the pool)

With a 3 year old pool and a liner that hasn't been chemically abused, you could easily fix this... it would require draining most of the water to do so.

It's getting late for me, so I'll leave it at this and await a response.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Ted,

The pool guy came out today. He pulled the liner out from the coping and stuck his hand down behind the foam padding and pulled out a white slime he claimed to be
    calcium. He said that it was nothing to worry about, and it would come and go with ground water infiltration. Any thoughts on these findings would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm leery that it's calcium, though I can't quite put my finger on why. If it's not the wall foam (and the wall foam would be secure at the top, it's floating up the wall from the bottom! *) then I'd be more inclined to say that it is oxidation from salt.

* If he was able to reach his hand behind the foam from the top, the foam isn't very well secured! (and if it's that easy to reach behind at the top, it's worse at the bottom, where water can rise behind it!!)

I don't know the topography of your pool location, but I'm assuming your pool sits in either a hollow or on the down slope of a hill. Probably, the best fix would be to install a curtain drain to divert the excess water away from the pool. Another option is to install a well point and sump pump. (if they hit water when they built the pool, they may have installed a well point)

If I knew more about you pool and where it sits, I could advise better.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread