Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with MAJOR problem...

Default Re: Newbie with MAJOR problem...

Ok... I plugged the main drain for 24 hours using one of those PVC plugs with the wing nut on it that I got at Home Cheapo, and still I have over 1/2 of water loss.

So much for my theory that main drain was leaking and the crete was put their on purpose.

I'll plug the skimmer also and see if that slows it down.

Speaking of "slow" --- a slow process of elimination, huh?

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Dog,

Thanks for keeping everyone posted. You've got lots of interested folks.

How about using an air drill with a masonry bit, putting a bit of electrical (waterproof) tape at a fixed depth on the bit (to avoid drilling through the bottom of the chunk and through the PVC) and drilling a hole for a concrete fastener?

Best case, you drill a pilot hole for a concrete screw (don't know the right name for them, but they have 'em at Lowes, etc) Then you use a wratchet/socket and install the screw. Grab screw with vise-grips and gently tug it out.

Worst case: Drilling and tapping breaks chunk in half and comes out in pieces.

CYA disclaimer: Be sure to unplug the air compressor before starting to drill, just in case the air hose has metal sheathing all the way down to the coupling!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlueDog
    Ok... I plugged the main drain for 24 hours using one of those PVC plugs with the wing nut on it that I got at Home Cheapo, and still I have over 1/2 of water loss.

So much for my theory that main drain was leaking and the crete was put their on purpose.

I'll plug the skimmer also and see if that slows it down.

Speaking of "slow" --- a slow process of elimination, huh?
    Dog, 'slow and steady wins the race' Finding a leak in a pool is an inexact science, but doing a 'process of elimination' will eventually find the problem. You are fortunate in that you dive, hiring a diver is $$$. If you chip away at it slow and steady, you'll save yourself sooo much trouble.
    1st step is to do a vessel test, plug off all inlets and suction ports (using the bucket as you've done) and check the bucket vs pool loss. If no discernable difference is detectable, the leak is in the lines and that's where you need to focus your attention. Pressure testing each line isn't too hard and can further isolate the leak. Should you need more specifics, don't hesitate to ask, you seem to know the drill, so I'm not bothering to get too specific. Happy Mem Day!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

1. Plugged main drain with a 2" plug, complete with a wing nut. (Got it from Home Cheapo, dove the drain, and plugged the thing tight.)

***After 30 hrs, still water loss of about 1"

2. Kept the main drain plug in, bought another plug and plugged the skimmer. ***After 30 more hours, only about 1/8" water loss.

3. Bucket shows about 1/8 water loss after 30 hours.

4. I am going to pull the main drain plug now, and see if I've found the problem: The skimmer lines.

Let you know.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Newbie with MAJOR problem...

Dog, sounds like you found the problem. Dry off, have a drink and don't run the skimmer. The repair on the skimmer will prbably involve a good bit of work, but if you need any help, just ask - you've done enough this weekend, sit back and enjoy the last few hours of it!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Wink Re: Newbie with MAJOR problem...

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV
    I don't think you can "pull" dissolved oxygen from water with suction. If you could oxygen from water that easily, you probably would have been using a device that does that instead of a tank for your dives. (There are some devices for diving that allow you to extract breathable oxygen from water but I don't think the methodology is simple suction.)

Trying to think a little out of the box, is there any way you could drill a hole in the concrete chunk, insert a lead anchor, thread a lag bolt into the anchor, and pull the chunk out with a big pair of pliers?

You guys are good........................lots of good stuff here. As I sit up here on the fence though, I would have to say I like the drill and pull method the best..........I would try that.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

MyBlueDog

Check your Inbox. Sent you a private message.

Pat

Hey Waste (and everyone),

Thanks for the advice. You said if I need help to write. So I am.

Now that I believe I've found the leak, and there's a temp. plug I placed in the skimmer, should I call out a leak detection service to pin point the thing...?

My goal is to try to keep my pool holding water. Mainly so I can use my skimmer.

My pool is screened, so I've never really used the skimmer since most of the debris stays out. I use my main drain, cuz I've been forced to. But more importantly, it's never held water. So I want the thing will hold water permanently!!!!

I'd rather not abandon the skimmer entirely by permanently plugging the skimmer hole until I determine fixing the thing may be either too costly or labor intensive. Know what I mean?

I am seriously thinking of buying some of that liquid leak sealer and following the instructions for 29 bucks and dumping that into the skimmer to see if it plugs it up.

Where would you start next? A leak company??

Ideas and advice, please.

Thanks,
    Daryl Bluedog
    Florida

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Well I'm no Expert....but I am dealing with the same/similar problem.

If that liquid leak sealer works it would be the first actual case I've heard. Not that it doesnt work....I just never heard of any confirmed reports.

An Alternative that I am currently considering:
    Fish a tape through the skimmer back to the pump and pull a smaller hose through. You wouldnt get as much volume through the skimmer but this would be a cheap alternative to digging up and patching the broken pipe.

My Main drain is leaking badly and I'm considering pulling a hose this week through it. If it works I'll post in this forum with pictures.

I think you'd want to run a flexible hose rated for pool chemicals. A simple garden hose wouldnt stand up from what I've read.

Closed Thread