+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frogs!

Default Frogs!

How do I keep frogs out of my pool?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Frogs!

I don't think you can. I'd be less worried about frogs in my pool than I would about snakes and spiders getting in. YIKES!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-11-2018 at 07:01 AM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You don't....I have 2 very large bullfrogs that swim in my pool nightly--fortunately, they get themselves out around dawn and hide out in my pond the rest of the day. You'd think they would prefer the fish pond right next to my pool over the chlorinated pool, but they don't seem to. The chlorine will take care of any "presents" they left in the water, though...

Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    I have 2 very large bullfrogs that swim in my pool nightly
    Actually, Janet, there may be a way you and Chucker can reduce the amphibian population. My guess is the frogs are there for the bugs. And the bugs are there for the lights . . . or rather the reflection of house and street lights off the water. If you can reduce the light, you can probably reduced the bugs. And if you reduce the bugs, the frogs may go hunt elsewhere.

Of course (as you know, Watermom), my family has always thought of critters in the pool as an added feature. Maybe you could do a mental reset by referring to your frogs as the "Volunteer Nocturnal Bug Patrol"?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I don't have a problem with the frogs--they don't bother me, and I like that I don't have mosquitoes or other insects around......

Besides, with the koi pond right next to the pool, there's always gonna be a fresh supply of bugs. I'm just glad for the frogs and birds that control them.....and I like hearing the toad and tree frogs at night that are also populating the area around the pond. It's a sure sign that summer's here....

Janet

I know this thread is pretty old but I figured I would try adding to this one before posting a new one. I have frogs and I have them bad. Not so much in my pool but around my pool and they make a lot of noise. Like all the time. Hard to even watch tv with them croaking all night. I'm sure my neighbors love me. I have been looking at some silent frequency type devices on Amazon but not sure they will help with frogs. Any advice on just getting these frogs to be more quiet.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

To the best of my knowledge, there are no definite solutions.

Some things that may help:

1. Reducing bugs in/on the water. Often the most effective step toward this end is to reduce reflections that 'light' the water.

2. I realize that this might be a 'solution' worse than the problem (at least for many people), but released a couple of Eastern or Northern water snakes into your pool might work. They may stick around . . . and they definitely eat frogs. Of course, even though they are non-venomous, they are aggressive and will bite people.

3. If the frogs are IN the pool, very high levels of chlorine will kill them eventually. Also, high levels of foamy algaecides will probably kill them. But it's a slow process, and if you think frogs feel pain . . . you may not want to pursue this.

Yeah so yeah the frogs are all around the pool I don't see a ton of bugs on the water but I'll say this.. I've seen a ton of frog eggs (black in a clear jelly like solution) in the skimmer and even some floating on the water. I turned up the pump RPM's today and extended the run time of the higher RPM cycles so that the chlorine should be increasing and as of right now as I sit here, I don't hear a single frog and haven't.

I wonder what happened but maybe the increase in chlorine or maybe it was a late cycle this year for their eggs and we are near the end. But whatever it is, it's peaceful right now.

Thanks for your response PoolDoc.

+ Reply to Thread