+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking help with new pool- sand filter works barly for short time and no pressure

Question Seeking help with new pool- sand filter works barly for short time and no pressure

Problem: Our pool filter when first turned on has no pressure and it only pumps into the pool for a short time and its extremely weak then eventually it stops pushing water into the pool.

Back story: We have a brand new Namco 18 x 52 willow model with a 1hp 110electric pump and a clearwater (waterway) sand filter.

we had pool installers setup the pool...had clean water delivered...then electric finished. The pool installers put it all together including the pump. We turned the pump on for the first time yesterday and it worked but was leaking pretty bad at the drain on the filter.

1st solution....i went to namco today and swapped for another drain cap. i removed the drain cap and put lube on the new one and installed it as fast as i could. water continually came out of the filter while swapping and it had it in closed mode. i tightened it up and it does not leak anymore. I turned the pump on and there was no water flow at all. i opened the clear lid on the motor and water rushed out...i closed that up and turned the pump on....on filter mode. and i got No pressure reading but i got water in the lines and slight water going into the pool from the filter.

i did this 3 more times...i also pulled out the basket and tried to feel for debris. i cant find the impeller with my fingers. i am a total pool newbie. i called namco again. and they are now closed...they never return my calls =( nor will the pool installers. it just blows my mind that everything is new and doesn't work properly and getting help is like pulling teeth from them.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-21-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: edit format

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Seeking help with new pool- sand filter works barly for short time and no pressur

Hi tallguyy, and welcome to the forum!!

Equipment is NOT my forte on this forum, but there are several on the forum that probably can offer you some ideas. Sit tight, and hopefully someone will be by shortly that can offer some suggestions. I personally would be on the phone with Namco or on the doorstep of the folks that contracted the installers first thing in the morning, and throw a big enough fit that they'd come out and fix it. (But, that's just me )
    Janet

Default Re: Seeking help with new pool- sand filter works barly for short time and no pressur

thanks for the quick reply...im doing searches like crazy on this form using the google search link in your sig trying to find reasons for whats happening.
    I hear you....im close to screaming at namco. they wouldnt return our call last night either so i had to go over there after work to get the part. The pool installers...each day we have called them...and they were namco recommended =(. We paid them cash...so its not like we can do anything there.
    I am just not sure who is the blame really..the installers or namco. we had lots of bad timing with the hole build..the water came hours late...and the electrician was delayed so we really coudlnt test anything while the installers were here. sigh

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm not at all familiar with your gear so these are general suggestions.
    Is the outlet from the pool (skimmer) clear of obstruction?
    Is the return to the pool (eyeball) clear?
    Did you read in the manual that you shut off the pump before moving the multiport valve?
    What happens with the multiport in Recirc? Backwash? Rinse?
    Are there any other valves in the lines? Are they all open?

thanks for the reply dave.
    Not sure what you mean by eyeball. the hoses all have water in them. the skimmer part on the pump itself has water in it..but when running i dont think has enough..and it has moister in it.
    if i run in backwash or rinse...water comes out of the pump. i do turn it off each time when sitching modes. after doing that i will get water coming into the pool for a very short time.

i see no obstructions anyplace.

I went to namco today and they said electric could not have enough power. which is also a new trenched run. i will put an adapter on tonight and try from a different socket.
    Namco said only thing they can do at this point for me is swap pumps. so i will probably be taking it off tonight if the electric doesnt fix it.
    The installers said they can come look in a few days also

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

When you say "water comes out of the pump" do you mean water comes out of the waste port on the multiport valve?

Does your multiport have a recirculate setting? What happens with that.

Is air getting sucked in through your skimmer into the pump strainer pot (pump skimmer)?
    Is air leaking into the pump strainer through the lid?
    Is air leaking into the suction line at a fitting?

You can test for suction leaks by smearing some shaving cream onto the suspected joints and watching to see if it gets sucked in.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

A 1 HP pump should be plenty for your pool--I have a 1 HP pump on my 18 x 36 IG and it works just fine.

When you turn the pump on, are you making sure that there is sufficient water level in the pool? Does the pump ever prime?

i dont know if air is seeping in. ill try the shaving cream trick.
    I took the pump off and brought it to namco last night. they just put it to power and ran a hose to it and said it was fine.
    i hooked it up and i swear its worse. he told me to put it in bypass to pool mode ...and it didnt help. ill get no pressure on the guage still..and it will only shoot into the pool a hair...then after awhile you it will make gurgling noise...and it will push lots of water into the pull and suck at the pool skimmer like crazy for a short time then stop completly...then it wont push water at all. i even took the cap off the motor skimmer...and unlike before...now water just sits there. its full...then after time water will start rising......if i leave it open after a lilttle bit wham! it will suck the water in and push it into the pool for a short time...then nothing all over again. it still seems like a pump to me. no?

Would you please take pictures of your equipment and connections, put them in picasa ( or photo bucket or whatever family friendly photo sharing you like ) and post a link here?

How about a video. This is my first youtube upload...hope you can view it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNtRUB1Xlg

I tried the shaving cream test today...and it looks like it wont work with gel style cream lol so ill have to get regular shaving cream.
    I called the installer 2 times today without a call back. this is all getting fustrating. im going to namco on break again too.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread