+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dirt reappearing

Default Dirt reappearing

I have a problem with dirt reappearing after I vacuum my pool. You can see some of the dirt coming right back thru the return nozzle. We have a sand pump & I have cleaned the filter & the sand is new. Our water is clean & in good shape. What could be the problem? It is getting to be very frustrating! Any advice?
    Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Dirt reappearing

in addition to what Watermom asked, when you cleaned out the filter, did you inspect the laterals for cracks? Are you using pool grade sand?

Janet

Not sure about the size of the pump or filter. I went out to look and I didn't see anything on the outside that would tell me but the filter holds 200 lbs of sand so maybe 21" The pool is 27ft round.
    When I cleaned the filter I just used the liquid cleaner you pour in the skimmer & backwash out so I didn't look for any cracks, if there is any would they be visible on the outside? Yes, we are using filter sand.
    I know this isn't alot to go on but thanks for your help!

Not sure about the size of pump or filter, nothing on the outside to tell me but the filter holds 200 lbs of sand so maybe 21" and the pool is a 27ft round. When I cleaned the filter I just used the liquid that you pour into the skimmer and backwash out. If there were any cracks would they be visible on the outside because I didn't see any. Yes, we are using pool sand.
    I know this isn't alot of info but thanks for your help!

Liquid cleaner? For the sand in the filter? I hadn't known there was such a thing. I just backwash my filter when the pressure has gone up by 8 PSI. Do you rinse after backwashing? That's a necessary part of the backwash process, it packs the sand back down.

Have you inspected the seal and gasket on your multiport valve on the filter? If that's old or not seated properly you can get sand blowing back into the pool.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yeah, Anna, they sell a liquid sand cleaner. Of course, like many other products sold in the 'pool world,' it isn't necessary to use it. Like you already know, backwashing a sand filter is all that is necessary!

Amazing. Learn a new thing every day!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread