+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intex 20 x 12 x 48

Default Intex 20 x 12 x 48

We bought a used Intex 20 X 12 X 48 pool and plan to put it up tomorrow. I've read through a lot of very informative posts, but am still confused. I have bought bleach and borax and will purchase the recommended test kit from walmart. What else do I need to get started?

Default Re: Intex 20 x 12 x 48

Welcome to the forum!

You'll need some stabilizer, also called cyanuric acid 100% or balancer. It helps keep the chlorine in the water and helps it work better. Are you filling from a well or from a municipal water supply?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

We will be filling from a municipal water supply. Should we test the water right after filling before adding any chemicals? Do we need to buy shock?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Go ahead and test your fill water. You don't need to buy 'shock.' Shock is a verb, not a noun. Shocking just means super-chlorinating and you can just use bleach.

Please fill out the Pool Chart with your pool's information.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results

We'll be filling the pool tomorrow. I read the post "Super Simple Pool Chemistry Recipe". It is extremely helpful! I do have a question, though. I ordered 100% cyanuric acid. Do I still need dichlor? Thanks so much for your help!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you use dichlor, you won't want to use the CYA. If you're going to use the CYA, then you should stick with just using bleach since it will add no CYA. Let us know which you want to do and someone will help you get started.

Well, the plan was to fill the pool today. However, the inflatable ring is leaking air and we can't find where! I'm not sure if we should go ahead and fill, and hope that it will be easier to find the leak, or eat the $ spent on it (we bought it used) and purchase a new one. Right now I have about 2 inches of water in the pool. Should i add a dose of bleach to it until we decide what to do about the leak?

Oh how frustrating! By my calculations you have about 150 gallons in there. Give it 1/2 cup of bleach, that'll hold you for a couple of days.

If the pool had a hole in it when you bought it, then I think I'd make them give me another one.

They bought it used, WM. They might not have known of the leak when they bought it.

+ Reply to Thread