+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intex 20 x 12 x 48

Default Re: Intex 20 x 12 x 48

Thanks so much for your help! My kids and I looked over the entire ring and couldn't find where it was leaking from. My husband came home, looked it over, and found 3 holes! He patched them up and it looks to be holding air.

We'll fill to 6" tonight, I'll add 2 doses of bleach in then. Finish filling tomorrow. When should I add CYA and what dose?

We can't return the pool Bought it from a garage sale from a couple who put it up for 2 summers, but said it was rarely used. We knew we were taking our chances.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    They bought it used, WM. They might not have known of the leak when they bought it.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Anna. I had missed that part as I hadn't reread the entire thread before I replied.

Glad you found the leaks!

Good job on finding the leaks!!!

Have you seen this post from PoolDoc: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055 . It's a wonderfully detailed description on how to start up an Intex or other small pool.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I did see that post~ awesome info! I am following that plan, however I will be using CYA and bleach instead of dichlor. Should I start adding the CYA as soon as the pool is full? Also, what is the best way to add the borax?

You will need approximately 40 oz of CYA to get within 30 - 50 ppm. Add 20 oz now using the sock method. Wait a week, test CYA, add more as needed.

You can broadcast borax over the surface or you can put it in the skimmer with the pump running or you can dump it in front of a return with the pump running. It dissolves very quickly. Some people get a mild cloudiness when they broadcast it. It doesn't last and isn't anything to worry about.

The pool is almost full! I've been adding bleach following the Super Simple Pool Chemistry. I just tested the Ph, it was 8.2 (or above) According to the Acid demand Test I will need 1/2 pint muriatic acid. The thought of using this acid scares me...is there an alternative chemical I can use to bring my Ph down?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can use some "pH Down" which is a dry acid.

My husband added 1 cup of muriatic acid this afternoon. I don't want to touch the stuff! Tested Ph this evening. Still 8.2 How soon should I retest Ph?
    TA tested at 60. Do I add baking soda now or wait until I get the Ph down?

So many different chemicals, my head is spinning figuring out when and how much to add.

Please post the values for FC (free chlorine). It may be interfering with the pH test.

I wouldn't worry about the alk right now. You can adjust it with baking soda after you get your pH where you want it.

+ Reply to Thread