+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First K-2006 results...prognosis?

Default First K-2006 results...prognosis?

As a first-summer owner of a home with a pool (in-ground, vinyl, ~29k gal, SWCG, propane heater), I'd been using test strips and occasional pool store testing to evaluate my water. As I posted previously, I found that the various results were often inconsistent with one another. Then I found this forum...

The water looks great, but i was seeing high FC, pH and TA readings and low CYA from the strips, and widely varying results from the stores. I finally acquired my Taylor K-2006 (from the Amazon link) to learn what's really going on, and my initial results are in. I want to make sure my analysis is accurate and correction plan appropriate. Interestingly, of my previous testing results, the test strips most closely match the Taylor results. Here they are:

Chlorine: 27 drops in 10 ml sample -> 13.5 ppm TC; no pink with the 5 drops R-0003 means 0 CC (right?), means 13.5 ppm FCC
    pH: bright purplish-pink -> 8.0+
    Alkalinity: 19 drops -> 190 ppm
    Ca hardness: 19 drops -> 190 ppm
    CYA: filled the tube right up, could still see the black dot somewhat -> less than 30 ppm
    Salt: 18 drops -> 3600 ppm

So...I have my stabilizer and my muriatic acid. I've read waterbear's post from this thread...

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...h-pH-chemistry

...and will keep it in mind, though I'm not sure I need to bring borax into the mix yet.

I've turned down the % output on my SWCG and reduced my pump runtime from 18 to 16 hours, but don't have updated results yet. I keep a solar cover on the pool at night and days when we're not swimming.

What should my next step be...stabilizer or pH/alkalinity adjustment? Can't seem to find dosage recommendations for the muriatic acid for the pH and then the alkalinity lowering process. Will return jets pointed up to the surface adequately aerate for the alkalinity adjustment?

I'm such a rookie. Any step by step advice, references to other applicable threads, or other wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Mark

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: First K-2006 results...prognosis?

You can actually work on all 3 at the same time. Here are the directions for lowering alk: Lowering Alkalinity Step-by-Step

Also, please read the using muriatic acid safely link in my signature below. It will give you the basic dose of muriatic acid to use.

Hope this helps.

You may have already done this, but if not, please fill in our Pool Chart with your information.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results

Thanks, Watermom.

I'm familiar with the two pieces you linked to in your reply. I guess I don't understand the workings of the muriatic acid, though. Is the basic dose (1/4 gal per 10k gal) the same regardless of the change I want to accomplish in my pH? I gather I'm going to have to lower it somewhat substantially as I set up for lowering the alkalinity.

Also, any thoughts on effective aeration using the equipment I already have?

Thanks again,
    Mark

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

With additions of pool chemicals including muriatic acid, it is always best to do several small doses rather than try to get to your target in one dose. This eliminates the concern about overshooting the target. Plus, if you start with a small dose, you'll be able to tell how much it affected your pH and then you can adjust the next dose some of you need to.

Using your eyeball aimed upward to create as much rippling as you can should be effective at aerating. Or, you can rig up a fountain or get all the neighborhood 10 year-olds to come and spend the afternoon playing and splashing in your pool! Actually, your return jet eyeball will be fine. You'll be surprised how well the procedure works.

Great! Thanks again. I'll report back once I've given it a shot...or I'll be back with more questions. ;-)

Best,
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread