+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow stain on steps from chlorine tablets

Angry Yellow stain on steps from chlorine tablets

Pulled off my solar cover today after it being on for about five days. Found out boyfriend (who is very new to the pool thing) somehow thought he was being helpful and put several chlorine tablets in an old skimmer basket and set it on one of the white pool steps. Now the bottom two steps are very yellow and they look awful. How can I get the stains off? Don't think he would have done this but our automatic inline chlorinator broke and I'm just using liquid right now. Guess he didn't realize there was another way to add the chlorine and thought it would be kinda like a floating chlorinator in place of the inline. Anyway, please tell me there is a way to remove the stains? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Yellow stain on steps from chlorine tablets

Anybody????

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Could you give us a bit more info about your pool such as the surface (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl), above or in ground, if the steps are a different matierial thtan the pool and a set of test results. Then we might be able to offer some suggestions.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thank you for your reply. My pool is a 16x32 IG pool with a vinyl liner. The steps are a white plastic. I'm at work right now and don't have access to the results of my water chemistry but all my tests on the water came out normal. I have had my pool for 12 years and don't have any problems with my water. I'm sure the stain came from the chlorine tabs sitting in the basket on top of the steps. I've read elsewhere that you could use muratic acid or rub vitamin C on the stain and it would come off but I haven't tried anything yet. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks again

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If the steps are plastic the stains might be permanent (much like the yellowing chlorine bleach will cause to nylon fabric in the wash). If they are fiberglass then I would like to see your water test results and would like to know how they were done (strips, test kit and brand, pools store and how they tested, etc.) because there might be a way to remove them since they very possibly are not directly from the chlorine by might be a metal stain that the high chlorine level at the site of contact caused.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Put some Vitamin C tabs on the steps, to rule out iron. If Vit. C clears the area around the tab, it IS an iron stain. If not, it may be chlorine oxidation, which is probably permanent.

+ Reply to Thread