+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydraulic fluid: Can a substitute be used in an Endless Pool motor?

Post Hydraulic fluid: Can a substitute be used in an Endless Pool motor?

I have had an Endless Pool for 6 months. The hydraulic fluid in the motor is leaking all over the place. Endless Pools says that you must use their product. Does anyone know if a substitute can be used and if so, what kind? Many thanks, babs

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Hydraulic fluid: Can a substitute be used in an Endless Pool motor?

I don't know the answer to your question, but someone should be along soon who does--but if the pool is only 6 months old, I think I'd be calling the company to send me a new pump under warranty....
    Janet

Thank you for your suggestion. I have had a lot of problems with this motor. The wiring completely burned and EP replaced that part of the motor after they realized the wiring was done correctly by one of their recommended installers. I will follow up. Thanks again! babs

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I very much doubt they use a specially made hydraulic fluid. But, trying to work out exactly which fluid they are using may not be worth the trouble it would take, ESPECIALLY when you are still in a warranty claim situation with them.

I can pretty much guarantee you they are looking for a way out of fixing it all for free; I recommend that you NOT give them one.

The hydraulic fluid is a biodegradable oil. We are purchasing a 5-gallon container from a local oil company which is also biodegradable. Endless Pool Technical bulletin #25 describes the properties (viscosity, etc.) of their oil (Plantohyd 40N) which I copied and sent with hubby to purchase it.
    We are just now installing a 2002 model pool (2nd owner - long story). The water pump and filter are working fine, just now bringing the hydraulic pump on line and we want to use fresh oil, as we found the shelf life of the bio oil is only a couple years.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Not trying to talk you out of using the bio-oil -- but my guess is the only reason EP is using a bio oil is to (a) promote how 'green' they are and (b) jack the price up. Again, I'm guessing, but I suspect standard oil with the same properties might last longer.

One caution: it's possible that bio oil is easier to clean up, if it leaks into your pool. If your EP set up has the pump in a submerged location, where oil leaks would enter the pool, then the use of bio oil might be valid from an engineering or functional perspective.

That was the reasoning we came up with - that if it leaked into the pool it would not be too much of a contaminant. Our pool is outside and only about a hundred feet from a lake. If the pump itself leaked it also wouldn't be too bad (it's located under the pool decking). And a petroleum product might also not be good for the liner if it came in contact with it.
    The oil we are getting is the same price as EP's but at least we can get it today and not pay shipping.

Sounds good . . .

+ Reply to Thread