Closed Thread

Thread: New Pool Owner with a couple Questions

Default New Pool Owner with a couple Questions

Greetings All!
    I am a new pool owner, actually the pool is in the final stages of completion. I have a 18'6"X41'6" Mountain Pond Inground vinyl liner. It is coming with a Polaris 480PRO with Halcyon booster pump and Sta-rite 1.5 HP Main Pump and a Sand Filter and SAm Light. I am not sure what other information I should say, but maybe the pool is located in South Alabama if that matters much

My questions are:

1.> How many Gallons should this be?

2.> Can anyone offer any comments concerning the Polaris 480PRO.

I have read quite a bit through this site in the last day or 2 and really find this a very informative site. I plan to make frequent visits here and learn more about some of the techniques you guys recommend.

Thanks
    Royce

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool Owner with a couple Questions

Royce:
    It's impossible to calculate the volume of your pool without more information. Here's what I would need:
    You say it's 18'6"x41'6" (big pool!) but give no depth or shape.

If it is a rectangle and the water is 4' deep, then it would have a volume of 3,071 cubic feet, or 22,971 gallons. But I/Gs are rarely simple rectangles, and even more rarely single depths. That gets MUCH more complicated.

Supposing, (and a big supposing) your pool is a rectangle and half is 4' deep and half is 8' deep with no gradual ramp. Then your volume would be about 34,500 gallons. Pretty unlikely but your actual volume may be close to that, unless you have diving end, and then it would be more.

A pool is usually a collection of geometric solids, and you have to figure out what those solids are, their dimensions, then what their volume is and add it all up. Once you do that, you have the volume in cubic feet. Now you are nearly done and simply multiply by 7.48 to get your gallonage. Remember: Dimensions are of the water in your pool--not the pool. So it's the depth of the water, not the pool that matters.

Your builder may be able to give you the volume a lot faster!

But I'm throwing out a pure W.A.G. (Wild - @ .. -Guess) that your pool is between 33,000 and 40,000 gallons, give or take 1,000 gallons. Figure your amounts of chemicals on the basis of 33,000 gallons and, if you are a little low, you can add more -- it's harder to remove stuff than add more.
    Carl

Well, I tried to give everything I could think of that would be needed, but being new at this, I failed. The shape is a "Mountain Pond," which is essentially a Kidney shape with an extra "hump." It is a 3' depth at the shallow end with the other end being 6' depth. I doubt that will give you enough information, and I have a message into the builder to get that information.

I am still curious what anyone thinks about the Polaris 480PRO good, or bad.

Thanks
    Royce
    Last edited by mrbadlands; 05-23-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Royce:

Your builder may be able to give you the volume a lot faster!
    Thanks Again, I did reach the builder and he advised my pool is roughly 23k - 27k gallons.

Thanks for your assistance

Royce

Closed Thread