+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to SWCG Pools HELP

Default New to SWCG Pools HELP

I have just had my in-ground gunite pool retiled and plastered with plain white plaster. The contractor is in the process of balancing the water. It is a 14,000 pool with spa. New Variable speed pump, CircuPool RJ 30 SWCG(new). in-line chlorinator (for now and winter based on contractor recommendations), DE filter, heater and waterfall.

As a beginner with saltwater I have many questions(I'm in a daze as I continue to research). What test kit, digital device, etc should I get? I have ordered the Hach Silver 7way test strips with a new Polaris 280. Should be delivered today. Are these useable or should I throw away?

What is the best salt to use, is there a difference? I was leaning towards Aquasalt. Pool contractor said that I needed to wait at least 4 weeks before adding salt, thus the in-line chlorinator, why? Is this true?

Thank you so much foir your help!
    Dakota

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: New to SWCG Pools HELP

Use morton or diamond solar salt sold for water softeners. You do not need 'special pool salt" (hint, there is no such thing!).
    The test kit you want is a Taylor K-2006 (not the k-2005). Test strips are useless for balancing water. They are called 'guess strips' for a reason!
    The Ploaris 280 is probably the best cleaner in their line. I assume you alrealy have the booster pump installed on the cleaner line?
    The reason you have to wait before adding salt to the pool is that new plaster has to cure and salt will interfere with that chemical process. Trichlor is ideal to use with new plaster because it is very acidic and will help keep the pH in line better because curing plaster produces a lot of alkaline material that will be constantly causing your pH to rise. This will continue at a diminished rate for about the first year just so keep a lot of acid on hand and monitor your pH closely during this time.
    This sticky in the SWCG section of the forum has several water balance tips and is worth reading. Circupool recommends a max CYA of 60 ppm so that is where you want the CYA to be!
    If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask them and welcome to the forum. You are going to love your salt system!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thank you so much for help. I find it interesting that a very large commercial pool builder, which I consulted, uses the Aquasalt product when he could save quite a bit of money using the products you recommend. I will use your recommendations. It will save me about 50%, thanks for the cost savings!!

How do I order the Taylor 2006 test kit so that the forum gets credit?

I tried to go to the sticky that you suggested on water balancing but was not allowed to view, what did i do wrong? What do I need to do?

Thanks again not only for the help but for the forum. I know it must be alot of work. It is greatly appreciated!
    Dakota

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The K-2006 kit can be ordered through the testkit page in my signature below. Until your registration is complete, you'll have to log out to be able to see any other areas of the forum, including the test kit page and the sticky Waterbear referred you to. That won't be necessary once you're fully registered, however.

Once you are logged out, find any post written by me, PoolDoc or Aylad and you'll be able to find that testkit link. Good decision to order that kit. You'll be so glad you did!

Hope this helps and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Just went to order the Taylor 2006c that you recommended and I saw where most customers added the Taylor K-1766 kit for saltwater pools. Do I also need this as I am switching to a SWCG RJ-30.

Thanks again for your help.
    Dakota

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Might as well go ahead and order them at the same time. And, you're welcome!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded. -ben

+ Reply to Thread