+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a little help with SWCG newbie

c130jake Guest

Default a little help with SWCG newbie

I posted this in the wrong spot....

Cloudy SWG pool opening...new to pools

Hi,
    Pool store tried to do my first opening last week....lots-o-problems at the pool store! Manager is coming Tuesday to finish and repair my SWG that the tech broke. (I have made a temp repair)
    This is my first opening. Pool-in ground, vinyl 20000gal, old sand filter, had tech replace sand (that is when the wire from the SWG was cut), added salt (I specifically told them to leave a few bags out as not to over salt like last year) They over-salted again...3600ppm (not as bad this year) I asked to have the Cya Acid added (tech forgot) as of tonight,
    hardness-250, total Cl-5, free CL-5, pH-6.9-7.0, alk-120 cya-0
    Pool blanket on, temp 60f.
    I shocked the pool and added Balance pack100 per pool store direction. Green is (alge) gone but pool is now milky (4-6 ft vis....can't see drain in deep end)
    After I get the pH right and the Cya right, will my pool clear? What do I do? I am afraid I may mess up my Aqua-rite. It is generating fine now with the temp repair I made. The pool store bimbo tried to sell me copper algicide but I knew better. She was unaware copper would mess up the electrodes of the Aqua-rite. Any other things I should know about with a SWG? Minnesota is NOT on the leading edge when it comes to SWG. My bad pool store is the only Aqua-rite dealer in town. Other pool stores looked at me like I was a freak when I asked about salt water pools....any info would be great! Thanks Jake

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: a little help with SWCG newbie

Don't bother with the algaecide all you really need is chlorine, CYA and borax (PH up). If you feel up to it, I would also bypass the pool store. You can get both liquid chlorine and CYA at your local Home Depot for a pretty good price. Do not use your SWG to shock the pool as this will shorten its life. If your CYA is 0, you need about 150 oz or about 9.5 lbs. I think it comes in 6 lbs containers. Also, buy several of boxes of chlorine (2 gallons each). Start with two gallons which should get you to 12 ppm. Vacuum the dead stuff from the bottom to waste. Keep the chlorine high until the pool clears up then go back to the SWG.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

c130jake Guest

Default Re: a little help with SWCG newbie

Thanks,

I put in the CYA tonight and and vacuumed a bunch today. Added bleach and will check tomorrow. Still cloudy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jake

+ Reply to Thread