+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Vacuum for above ground pool

Default Best Vacuum for above ground pool

My filter doesn't do a very good job at keep the dust and dirt out from the bottom of my pool. I started out last year using the vacuum that came with my pool that attaches to the water hose, then I bought one that hooked up to the skimmer. But I don't care for either. Can you recommend a decent one that doesn't cost a fortune?
    Thanks

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Best Vacuum for above ground pool

Why don't you like the one you got? Vinyl pool vac use brushes instead of wheels to prevent liner damage and non of them work very well. I would look for one where the brushes are open in front of the vacuum hole with two shorter brushes in front on either side of the hole angled toward the hole as opposed to one with one long, continuous brush in the front (triangular and many other-shaped vac heads) which just push the dirt forward and don't suck it up. IF you are very careful you can use a wheeled vac head which tend to work a bit better but you do run the risk of damaging the liner.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Maybe its not so much the vacuum as it is the operator. The one that I have that attaches to the skimmer would pick some dirt up, but as soon as I turned it off, it seemed like all the dirt went right back into the pool. It had brushes all the way around it. The one that hooked up to the water hose was just a pain because of dragging the water hose around the pool every day.

Angela

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Are you moving the vac head very slowly so as not to stir up the water anymore than you have to? I think what you are experiencing is pretty common. It happens in my pool, too. I go as slowly as I can and the pool floor looks spotless, but once the water quiets down, I can then see some dirt resettling on the floor, especially in the lines created where the foam padding under the liner is taped at the seams. It isn't a lot, but I want it to be perfectly clean. Not gonna happen. But, as soon as we get in the pool, the little bit of dirt/dust gets kicked up into suspension and you can't see it.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

My AG robot vac does a great job with even really fine stuff and it doesn't return right away - it does return 'cause new dirt gets in it but I can't blame the robot for that. It costs many times what a vacuum would cost but I'm really happy with it.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread