+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new pool glad i found this forum

Default new pool glad i found this forum

i set up my new pool friday before memorial day it is the pro series walmart 16 by 48 .
    i have been using bleach and a cheap walmart oto kit whats the cheapest i can use to get my cya where it needs to be?

Default Re: new pool glad i found this forum

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

The quickest is granular stabilizer. You will probably need 2 pounds for a CYA level of 50 ppm. I'm guessing your functional pool volume at 5,000 gallons. You want to buy the smallest amount you can find (2 pounds) and look for "100% cyanuric acid" on the label. It's sometimes called 'conditioner' or 'balancer'.

You should also consider a test kit with better capabilities and more accuracy. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 test kit. The HTH 6-way drops kit is a great starter kit, and is compatible with the K2006 (it's made by Taylor). Since we are all familiar with the K-2006 (and can help you with it) we recommend it exclusively ( Test kit info page )

If you haven't already done so, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that. It's much easier to answer your questions, when we know something about your pool.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

thanks i already did the pool chart, i also have the taylor kit now i just need to learn how to use it what is the best way to add the stabilizer?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. Give the sock a squeeze every now and then to help it dissolve faster. Remove the sock before you add other chemicals through the skimmer.

Another method is to pour the CYA into the skimmer and let it dissolve in your filter. Just keep your filter running 24/7 for 4 or 5 days while it is dissolving and don't clean the filter during that time period or you'll just throw the CYA out.

Thank you for filling out the Pool Chart!

Now that you have your test kit, why not post a full set of test results next time you run them? If we see any issues we can help you resolve them.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you haven't already bought your stabilizer, you might want to check at WalMart--it's the cheapest I've seen. My WalMart sells it in a 4-lb container in the spa section, and label it "balancer". Check the ingredient label, like Anna said, and look for cyanuric or isocyanuric acid.

thanks i will look at walmart.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Read the label and make sure there are no other funky ingredients in there! We are finding that many chemical companies are making voo-doo blends with lots of stuff that will mess up your pool!

Red face Re: new pool glad i found this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Read the label and make sure there are no other funky ingredients in there! We are finding that many chemical companies are making voo-doo blends with lots of stuff that will mess up your pool!
    thanks i finally purchased the borax and balnce at walmart i think its 3 lbs for like 7.87 can the kids still swim while i add this stuff ?

Yes.

Why don't you go ahead and run a full set of tests and post them before you add anything else. Then, we can help you figure out amounts to add. Also, how are you planning to add the CYA. (I listed a couple of different ways in one of the posts earlier in this thread.)

+ Reply to Thread