+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using my new Taylor test kit...HELP!

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

Default Using my new Taylor test kit...HELP!

I got my new Taylor 2006 test kit and the first thing I tested for was chlorine. Can someone tell me if I am doing it right, because I am getting significantly different results than when I use my cheap Walmart OTO kit.

Here's how I tested:

I followed the instructions and put two dippers of R-0870 in 10 ml of water and I could not get the pink to change. So then I tried just one dipper of R0870 in 10 ml of water and then I used 16 drops of R-0871 to get it to change. Am I suppossed to multiply 16 drops times 5 ppm to get my chlorine reading? If that's the case that puts me at like 80 ppm!! When I test with my OTO kit, I get a reading of 3-4 ppm. Am I doing something wrong?
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Using my new Taylor test kit...HELP!

It's 16 drops x 0.5 ppm, or 8 ppm FC.

Unless you have a carefully calibrated OTO kit . . . that's within the expected error range. The FAS-DPD test is the more accurate result.

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

Oh, I see. I didn't read the instructions as closely as I should have. By the way, I am very impressed with the comprehensive Taylor 2006c Test Kit. I wish I would have bought one years ago. I would have saved a ton of money by not having to rely on the pool store people.

You also answered my next question which was do I rely on the new kit versus the old OTO kit, because the ph results are different, too, between the two kits?
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by sabres07 View Post
    By the way, I am very impressed with the comprehensive Taylor 2006c Test Kit. I wish I would have bought one years ago. I would have saved a ton of money by not having to rely on the pool store people.
    Yep! That's the way most people feel when they get that great kit!

+ Reply to Thread