+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jandy pump problem, plus other system questions...

Default Jandy pump problem, plus other system questions...

Hello,
    My pools stats:
    Inground-approx 24,000 gal, installed 2007
    Pebble Tec-Pebble Fina finish
    Chlorine Factory-Salt chlorine generator
    Jandy Stealth 1hp 2speed
    Jandy DEV48 filter
    Jandy Aqualink RS PDA
    3 sheer descents w/ booster
    Polaris 280 cleaner

Ok, our problem began a couple of years ago. We lost pressure, only noticeable by the gauge on the DE filter which read -0-. We didn't really notice a difference in equipment operation and were told it was probably just a faulty gauge. Gradually, it became more difficult to keep the pool surface and bottom clean, but the water still seems clear. Over this past winter, it became clear that the cleaner and sheers were not operating at full speed. I was finally able to get my pool builder to come out and take a look and he referred me to the sub who installed the equipment. The sub said that the switch that moves the pump from high to low speed was out so the pump would only run on low speed. Long story short, he said he would take care of us...2 months ago and still nothing, which brings me here.

1. Does the subs assessment sound reasonable?
    2. If I replace the pump, does it need to be another Jandy in order to work with my PDA remote? Any pump recommendations?
    3. Is a DE filter necessary for my location? I'm just not really a fan of the backwash procedure.

Thanks for any help. This is my first pool and I am lost!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Jandy pump problem, plus other system questions...

Pretty sure the switch is EXTERNAL to the pump, either in a timer, or in a controller. THAT'S what needs to be replaced, unless the high speed winding is burned out.

Here's the Jandy / Zodiac info page: http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Pro...s/Stealth.aspx

You can use a cartridge filter; but they can sometimes be messier to clean than a DE filter. Sand filters are easier, but run afoul of various water restrictions in many parts of California.

I'll call Jandy and see if someone can help me. Last time I called, they said my gauge wasn't working properly.
    Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I get the impression that you didn't understand my earlier post. That's OK; not everyone is meant to be their own handyman.

But, your problem is NOT one Jandy can help you with - unless you have a Jandy electronic control system. Instead you probably need to call a qualified Jandy tech (Jandy / Zodiac *may* be able to help you with that!) and have them (1) test the high speed winding on your pump -- it's a 5 minute test, with the right meter, (2) check our your time clock, if you have one, OR (3) check your control system, if you have that.

I do have a Jandy control box...Aqualink RS. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

+ Reply to Thread