+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I would like to go the BBB route but I have a ?

Default I would like to go the BBB route but I have a ?

My pool is about 30 years old but new to me this year. I am slowly learning "pools". It is 20X40 with most of it what seems to be cement. The sides are some sort of vinyl I believe. I have been told it is about 35,000 gallons. I just had someone open it and my water is cloudy but it wasnt before he open it, it was just dirty. I know he shocked it and there was a lot of dust in the pool which I have been mixinng into the water to help filter it. I tend to think it is couldy from mixing the dust around. I also have a Letro Legend pool vac working. My question is can I go the BBB route with this type of pool? I have no idea what kind of filter I have. I also have a heater. Can the BBB route be used on any and all pools? I have a basic test kit that measures PH and Chlorine levels. Should I get something more advanced? Any help is appreciated.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: I would like to go the BBB route but I have a ?

You can use the BBB route with most any kind of pool, especially one that's being sanitized with chlorine to begin with. You do need a little more extensive test kit--the one that Ben sells on this forum is excellent, and will test for most anything you could need to test for. As an alternative, WalMart sells a $15 5-way drop-based kit that will be enough to get you started. Just stay away from test strips!

If you'll get a drop-based kit, test for Cl, pH, Total alk, Ca, and CYA, post your numbers, we should be able to get you started.

Janet

Does anyone have a link for the test kit at Wal Mart? I would like to pick one up but I cant find it anywhere and when I stopped in they were clueless. Thanks

I don't have a link - but the pool stuff is usually between the lawn and garden section, and the childrens toys. Look for the HTH brand 5 way kit (about $10-14) to get you started.

However - I strongly recommend Ben's new kits avaliable on the pool soutions pages. I have a kit that I bought last year - and it's very handy - much better than the el-cheap-o HTH kit from the mart.

Thanks, I am looking for somethign to report back to the board ASAP and I think that is my best bet, for now. My water is somewhat cloudy and I would like to get it clear. My current kit shows maybe a little high PH and low chlorine. I have been told to shock the pool with 4 gallons of liquid shock. Does this seem right?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

It depends on your CYa level...get that and post it, and we can give you some better advice.

Janet

My CYA is 0.....

+ Reply to Thread