+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No questions yet...

Default No questions yet...

Hello to PF. I will soon be the new owner of an Intex 15' X 48" Steel pole frame pool. After ordering the pool I did a google search and found the pool forum. I've been reading a lot, there is a wealth of information here! After reading, I've decided that I want a sand filter and a SWCG. The Intex 1600gph sand filter/SWCG combo seems to be an upgrade to the pump/filter that comes with the pool and hopefully will meet my needs as I have it ordered.

I have a neighbor who is a contractor who will be levelling an area for my pool with his skidsteer and laser level. I will be using a k-2006 test kit. I will be purchasing salt, sand, bleach, borax, muriatic acid, and stabilizer/CYA. The water here is from a utility company well and is fairly hard. I'm not sure about metals yet but hoping that won't be a problem.

So like I said, no questions yet. Just a hello and hoping I'm on the right track. Any suggestions, advice, and/or corrections would be appreciated!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: No questions yet...

Great start! Many of us (Me) put up our first intex then have to drain it and rebuild it when we learn that looks level and is level are different.
    Great start! The K-2006 lets you know what you need to know to manage your pool.
    Great start! You know where your water's coming from and have given it some thought. The utility should be able to give you a water quality report - probably on thier website. It would be good to know if you have significant metals in addition to hard water.
    Great start! You've considered your startup chems and will have them on hand before you fill.

Have you considered starting your pool by manually chlorinating with dichlor until you reach your CYA target? This will likely be the quickest way to get CYA in your pool as dichlor adds 9ppm CYA with every 10ppm FC. Do make sure it doesn't have mystery ingredients or metals.

Welcome to the forum, you do seem to be on the right track.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: No questions yet...

If you would, fill out the Pool Chart; it takes 30 seconds, and makes it MUCH easier for us to give you good advice:
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

Thanks for the response Dave. Good idea to check the utilities report, and I have done this now. The report is not very complete, doesn't include calcium, hardness, alkalinity, iron, or much of anything that appeared to be useful, plus it's from 2010. It does show that the pH was 7.93, copper= .23 ppm, chloride= 33 ppm, soduim= 28 ppm, and sulfate= 37 ppm.

The dichlor is an excellent suggestion! I'll see what is available here. I also want to test the fill water before I make any final decisions.

Thanks again!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by rmk_racer View Post
    The dichlor is an excellent suggestion! I'll see what is available here. I also want to test the fill water before I make any final decisions.
    If you need stabilizer, and have access to a Sams Club, buy their 24lb pack of 1# bags of 100% dichlor shock. Each bag will add about 7 ppm of chlorine, and about 6 ppm of stabilizer, per 10K gallons of water. Otherwise, order dichlor from Amazon:
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs
    We do NOT recommend buying dichlor locally, otherwise, at least until you are an EXPERT reader of chemical labels. The chlorinating pool chemicals sold at Walmart, Kmart, Costco, and most other local stores are diluted blends, sometimes with copper and other products with bad side-effects.

Hi Watermom and thanks for the advice! I'm far from an expert at reading chemical labels but I do have a minor in chemistry so I don't feel uncomfortable reading the labels. I am concerned that my water will already have plenty of TA. I just need my K-2006 to show up so I can find out and go from there. Thanks again!
    15' round 4.4K gal AG vinyl pool; SWCG; Intex 15'x48" metal frame sand filter; Intex sand and SWCG 1600gph pump; don't know yethrs; I will be using K-2006 and aquachek salt strips; utility water; summer: solar; winter: none, yet; ; PF:27

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are welcome!

Well my pool is up and is looking good! I built a 2X4 frame, leveled it, and filled with sand. The pool is about 1/2" off level, not bad. I've added salt, and some bleach (about 1/2 gallon) the first night. I also added 2# of stabilizer via a sock and have been running the pump 24/7, and the SWCG for 4 hours per day. This morning these were my #'s:
    FC = 4
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.2
    CYA = 35
    TA = 120
    CH = 90

Water is clear and sparkling. And cold, 68*! Hopefully the solar cover will help with that soon. I'm planning on adding an additional pound of stabilizer which should raise the level to 50-60. I think I'm on the right track, any suggestion tho? Thanks!
    15' round 4.4K gal AG vinyl pool; SWCG; Intex 15'x48" metal frame sand filter; Intex sand and SWCG 1600gph pump; don't know yethrs; I will be using K-2006 and aquachek salt strips; utility water; summer: solar; winter: none, yet; ; PF:27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Well Ben, northeast Nevada is high desert, nothing like Vegas (thank goodness!). The elevation at my house is approx. 5800 feet. While it's getting into the upper 80's or mid
    90's during the day, it's cooling off into the low 40's at night. It snowed over Memorial Day weekend. Summers are relatively short here, hence the small inexpensive pool. But it sure feels good on the days it does get hot!

+ Reply to Thread