+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dirty water

Default dirty water

We have 28 ft above ground i can run the pool rover 3 or 4 times and the vacuum sweeper through the pump and pool looks super clean the minute i turn pump on and start circulating the pool looks dirty to me in the bottom we have a Hayward pump with sand filter new sand installed last year please help in Ohio thanks
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-08-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: edit 24 to 28, per user.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: dirty water

Love your street name!

My favorite around here are "Hog Jowl Rd" (in the small town where I grew up) and "Booger Holler Rd" (on the way to a pool I serviced -- it's actually a Cherokee reference, rather than what people think). I hate the faux 'upper class' names builders create, like "Oake Pathe Lane" . . . . or "Willow Oak Drive" . . . in the middle of an old tree-less cow pasture!

OK. Enough of that.

Sounds like the dirt is blowing through your filter. AG pools are almost always installed with oversized pumps and undersized filters, when what they need are oversized filters and undersized pumps! With a sand filter, the dirt can be SHOVED through the sand. Also, during backwash the high flow tends to blow the sand out of the filter.

So, do this:

1. Open your filter, and check your sand. You may need to add some.

2. If the filter is low, then you also need to slow the flow through the filter. You can do this by running on low speed (if you have a 2 speed) or by putting a valve between the pump and filter and throttling the flow, or by modifying or replacing the pump or by (best of all) getting a bigger filter.

3. Complete the pool chart (about 30 seconds) it will make it much easier for us to give you good advice
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.

k the pumps a 1.5 hp 1 speed cheaper for a new pump or filter and which one ya recomend when your talking filter your talking complete unit right thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

To offer you replacement ideas, short of a complete pump filter combo, I'd need pump and filter MODELS and sizes.

filter is a heyward s210t1580 filtration area f.t-2.2 m-0.21 design flow rate gpm-44 lpm-167 pressure loss at design flow rate-psi-2 BAR- 0.14
    pump power flo l.x series 1.5 h.p it,s a heyward also

still looking for help

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I've alerted Ben that you have supplied the requested information. Hopefully, he'll be able to take a look at this soon. We've been swamped ........

I'm not clear on what you want, or what's happening.

1. Your first post indicates your pool gets dirty when you turn the pump & filter on. Are you saying, "Dirt comes out of the pool returns, and clouds up the pool?" or are you saying something else?

2. Did you check your pool filter's sand? Is it full? Is the sand level, inside the filter? If you haven't checked it, do so, and get a small handful of sand and put it in a sandwich bag.

3. Did you try throttling flow through the filter, like I suggested? Do you understand what I meant?

4. You report at having a Hayward s210t1580 -- that's a pump and filter combo. This is the manual that goes to that combo: manual49.pdf. Is that what you have?

5. Are you willing to spend maybe $800 to get a better system? Or would you prefer to get your existing system to work better?

sand is full and yes seems like dirt is coming back out into pool would like to get current system working better not sure on the throttling you are referring to????

and yes that is the system we have thanks frustrated in ohio

+ Reply to Thread