+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5k gallon pool -- my water is never clear

Wink 5k gallon pool -- my water is never clear

Hi! I have had a 5,000 gal pool wth a Hayward sand filter for several years. I used walmart's pool chemicals for a while & in the last few years, a pool expert. However, I only remember having crystal clear water one of the 13 years we've had the pool. It appears clean but cloudy. I have a hard time keeping a chlorine reading. I fill it fresh each year wth well water. I do know that our water has a high metal content & phosphates. It always reacts to the first shock by turning brown. I then treat wth a stain & metal remover that gets it blue again, but remains cloudy. Like most others, I've spent a lot of $$ following pool store advice. I would love to switch to the BBB way. How do I start? How much clorox, etc?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 5k gallon pool -- my water is never clear

Start by filling out the Pool Chart (abt 30 seconds)
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    and by getting a test kit. Get a HTH 6-way drops kit if your local Walmart has one; if not get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) kit. Then, read the test kit info page (my signature) and order a K2006. When you get it, test BOTH your pool water, but even more importantly, your WELL water. Do not test the stabilizer level now - there are only a few tests in the kit for that, and you don't need them yet.

Also, tell us if you want to use the pool now -- on a get-by basis -- or if you'd rather wait till you are in position to fix the problem.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread