Thread: From cloudy green to cloudy blue

Default From cloudy green to cloudy blue

In ground vinyl-lined approx. 10,000 gallons with sand filter
    FC 2
    TC 10
    Alk 110
    PH 7.2
    CYA 30

So I opened the pool (first time in my life), used the local pool store opening kit and in 3 days it went from dark green to lighter green and that was it. Took water sample to pool store after running filter for a week straight they said chemically everything was fine, tried to shock more and used a green-to-clean product, no change. Started with the BBB method two days ago and the pool has gone from a cloudy green to a cloudy blue. After reading many posts here I am sticking with the bleach attack since my FC is so low, but my question is:

With my alk so high and pH low, which do I address first? I have baking soda and borax on hand but am trying to figure out which problem to attack while also dealing with FC depleting so rapidly.

Thanks for such a great resource to the DIY pool community!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: From cloudy green to cloudy blue

I wouldn't worry about either right now. Right now, you have an algae problem to address.
    To take on the algae, you need to get your FC to 15ppm and keep it there until you have 1ppm or less loss of FC overnight and 0.5ppm or less CC for two nights in a row.
    Remove all the debris you can and brush the bottom and sides often - right after adding bleach.
    Run your filter 24/7 until the water is clear.

You'll need a good testkit. The Taylor K-2006 is prefered and available through the links in the moderators signatures on this forum - it's not available locally - you'll have to order it online.
    In the mean time, if you local wall mart has the HTH 6-way kit, it's a good deal for a good OTO kit compatible with the K-2006 (HTH 6-Way Test Kit). If not, pick up a cheap OTO/pH testkit yellow and red drops. You'll need alot of bleach of pool store liquid chlorine to take on the algae; about 2-1/2 gallons to start and a good bit more to keep the FC at 15 or more.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Log your pool info here:
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Killing the algae is chemical + brushing. Cleaning it up requires good circulation and filtration. Logging your pool data will make it easier for us to see what you'll have to do (or fix!).
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

Thanks, I've been trying to keep my chlorine level up which is not easy or cheap. At least we have recycling in my neighborhood to get rid of all the bleach bottles. I can see the fourth step today so there is some improvement I can see at least. Hopefully we will be swimming next weekend.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.
    • Don't run your heater, until the pool is cleared up AND you have calcium hardness testing capability.
    • Use 20 Mule Team borax to raise your pH to 7.6 - 7.8 -- 1 box at a time, added slowly to the skimmer. Wait 4 hours and test before adding another box.
    • If you have the cover on, take it off -- CC's escape by off-gassing; a solar cover traps them in the pool.
    If you've brushed your ENTIRE pool, and there's no visible green left, switch to dichlor for chlorination:
    If you have access to a Sams Club, buy their 24lb pack of 1# bags of 100% dichlor shock. Each bag will add about 7 ppm of chlorine, and about 6 ppm of stabilizer, per 10K gallons of water. Otherwise, order dichlor from Amazon:
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs
    We do NOT recommend buying dichlor locally, otherwise, at least until you are an EXPERT reader of chemical labels. The chlorinating pool chemicals sold at Walmart, Kmart, Costco, and most other local stores are diluted blends, sometimes with copper and other products with bad side-effects.
    On your pool, a pound of dichlor will add about 6 ppm of chlorine, and 5 ppm of stabilizer. Use 6 - 8 pounds (30 + 30 ppm CYA), and then switch back to bleach. Dose in the evening; test your chlorine after 1 hour, and test again in the early AM.

I'd like to know what your chlorine loss is from evening to morning, when it's NOT affected by sunlight. Do NOT slack up on chlorination when it rains!!!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.

After adding a large jug (196oz) of bleach last night, the chlorine was 0 when I tested early this morning, but visible progress has been made as we can see the 5th step now and can actually see the brush moving along the bottom of the pool. Water is still cloudy but I have hope! How important is calcium to a vinyl lined pool?
    14'x23' oval 10K gal IG vinyl pool; hand fed trichlor; Hayward sand filter; Hayward Super Pump pump; 24hrs; Leslie's (Taylor) Deluxe DPD kit (yellow/green/red drops); utility water; summer: solar; winter: mesh; ; PF:12

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Calcium is not important to a vinyl lined pool, unless it get too high, and then you can have milky water. Otherwise, don't worry about your calcium levels.

+ Reply to Thread