+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with stains

Default Help with stains

I opened my 15,000 gallon, salt water, vinyl liner pool and finally after a week of shocking I can now see the bottom albeit a little cloudy. I thought I had some sort of algae on the bottom but it would not scrub off. After reading several posts here I decided to drop some vitamin C tablets and sure enough the stains disappeared. I also found a quarter ($.25) in the pool that was completely dark brown. Could this have caused this?

My water is as follows: 8FC, PH 7.2, TA 80, salt 2,500 and no CYA. I ordered Culator, ascorbic acid. Kemtek algaecide, and Kemtek metal and calcium eliminator. I have read several posts and do not which one to follow completely. I understand I need to let the chlorine and ph drop. When do I add the algaecide so it doesn't turn green again? I then add Kemtek Metal and calcium eliminator without the filters in it, then add ascorbic acid and wait for it to clear? Then I add culator? Some posts say to let the pump run 24/7 for a month? When do I put the filters back in? I am using 2 c-400 Hayward cartridge filters. Also, is the water safe to get in while I wait for the amazon order of chemicals to come in?

lstinthot is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst lstinthot 0

Default Re: Help with stains

As long as Cl` is still in pool it should be safe to swim. I am starting the same process on my neighbors pool. I am not dropping Cl` levels until we have all chemicals to start. We are actually going to add some Cl` tonight to make sure we do not another algae breakout. We have adjusted Ph down to 7.2 now.

Here is the process I will be following (post #11 and 12):
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?15092

Pooldoc recommends putting the filter back in after the stains are scrubbed and sequestrating agent is in the water.

best of luck
    ~36,000g IG gunite -- 2Hp Pentair UltraFlow filter pump - replaced with 2 speed 1 1/2 HP ultraquite pump -- 3/4 HP vacuum booster pump -- DE filter --K-2006 test kit

Thank you. When can I add the algaecide?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The reason for leaving the cartridge out -- on that particular pool -- is that polyquat tends to be filtered out, and I wanted it to stay in while there was no chlorine.

When can I add the algaecide?
    What are your current test results, and what have you done so far?

FC 10, ph 7.6, al 80, cya 30 (was 0 and I didn't add any stabilizer?). Swg is off. I have ordered the chemicals above and am waiting on amazon.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Let me know when you have everything, and are ready to start. Meanwhile, keep your chlorine up, and enjoy your pool!

Ok! I have Culator, ascorbic acid. Kemtek algaecide, and Kemtek metal and calcium eliminator in hand.

I have everything and am ready to start...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Ok, I have chlorine out of pool and low ph. Added algaecide and now the ascorbic acid. Filters out of pool. Am I doing this right and what next?

+ Reply to Thread