+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White residue on salt water chlorinator cell

Default White residue on salt water chlorinator cell

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am also new to salt water pools, so bear with me please.

I have a 20K gallon salt water pool. The water is currently balanced and crystal clear and everything seems to work except for one problem: I am having this buildup of white residue on the salt chlorinator cell. The housing is clear so I can see the cell. Some of it is clumps I can peel off while some is a layer on the cell itself that only is removed by soaking the cell in vinegar for an hour. I could live with this if I had to clean it once a week or so, but new buildup happens every day so I have to clean the cell every day. That can't be right. Yes, the water here in South Central Texas (USA) is very hard, but I didn't have this problems as extreme as this before. I have also noticed that the buildup only happens on the top of the cell, the side of the cell facing up. Even if I turn it the buildup is on top. I'm pretty sure it's calcium buildup, but why so much and is there a way I can prevent having to clean the cell daily?

Default Re: White residue on salt water chlorinator cell

Hi and welcome to the Forum. You are indeed seeing calcium build up. I agree that cleaning your Salt Cell every day is nonsense. What is the make and model of your SWCG? In any case, Muriatic acid works very well to clean the calcium off of your Cell. I usually mix about a cup of Muriatic Acid to a gallon of water and let the cell soak in a plastic bucket. I would not submurge the electrical contact points, only the plates where the build-up is. It should bubble quite a bit, but after the bubbling stops, there should only be a few small spots left that you can scrape off with a plastic or wooden tool, then rinse. Some cells are self cleaning, at least to a point, and all cells will build up with calcium, some sooner than others. Even if your cell is not of the self cleaning variety, you do not need to clean it daily, probably not even weekly. Your cell, if it is rated big enough for your pool, should be able to keep up with your chlorine demand even with some calcium build up.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cdysthe View Post
    The water is currently balanced and crystal clear
    How do you know this? If you are using test strips, or trusting dealer testing . . . you do NOT know that this is so. There are some dealers with accurate testing, but they are the exception, not the rule. And 'guess-strips' are, well, 'guess strips'!

Read the test kit info page in my signature; buy an HTH 6-way drops kit from Walmart, if it happens to be available in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    How do you know this? If you are using test strips, or trusting dealer testing . . . you do NOT know that this is so. There are some dealers with accurate testing, but they are the exception, not the rule. And 'guess-strips' are, well, 'guess strips'!

Read the test kit info page in my signature; buy an HTH 6-way drops kit from Walmart, if it happens to be available in your area.
    Well, I know it's crystal clear since I can see that it is. I use a PentairPro II Test Lab to test the water and double check with the pool store now and then. Calcium hardness will always be on the high side here since the water is very hard. It's also hot and windy around here so I'm seeing a lot of evaporation during summer and have to refill with hard water

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallGuy View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Forum. You are indeed seeing calcium build up. I agree that cleaning your Salt Cell every day is nonsense. What is the make and model of your SWCG? In any case, Muriatic acid works very well to clean the calcium off of your Cell. I usually mix about a cup of Muriatic Acid to a gallon of water and let the cell soak in a plastic bucket. I would not submerge the electrical contact points, only the plates where the build-up is. It should bubble quite a bit, but after the bubbling stops, there should only be a few small spots left that you can scrape off with a plastic or wooden tool, then rinse. Some cells are self cleaning, at least to a point, and all cells will build up with calcium, some sooner than others. Even if your cell is not of the self cleaning variety, you do not need to clean it daily, probably not even weekly. Your cell, if it is rated big enough for your pool, should be able to keep up with your chlorine demand even with some calcium build up.
    Thank you. I've got at Hayward Aquarite 25k Gallon Turbo Cell. I do not think I can leave the cell for as long as you suggest with the current water. It's simply too much build-up. As I said in another response in this thread the water here is very hard, nothing I can do about that. I've seen some products which claims to "protect" the salt cell and "prevent" or "limit" buildup. Would it be worth the cost trying on of those? I will also try to clean the cell with diluted muriatic acid instead of vinegar. Thank you for that advice.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cdysthe View Post
    I use a PentairPro II Test Lab to test the water and double check with the pool store now and then.
    Ok, had to look it up. It's the old Rainbow kit. It should be better than strips, but I have no idea beyond that whether it's reliable or not. Because it's DPD tablets for chlorine, you can only test chlorine to FC or TC=5 ppm, and not very accurately at that. Also, because you just said "it's balanced and clear" without numbers, I needed to figure out what you were going by. It sounds like your following the test kit guide? We've never seen one of those (even the Taylor booklet) that was right.

So, do this:

1. Post your pool info to the chart (abt 30 seconds) so we have a clear picture of what you're working with
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    2. Post your actual test results, for BOTH pool water and FILL water. (You only need to test pH, TA, and hardness on fill water)

For now, I'd turn off the cell, and chlorinate by hand.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

Thanks again. I posted the pool data form as 'cdysthe'

The pool water:
    Free Chlorine: 1.2 ppm
    Total Chlorine: 1.2 ppm
    PH 7.2
    Hardness 350 ppm
    TA 120
    Cyanuric Acid 50 ppm

Fill water:
    PH 7,2
    TA: 340 ppm
    Hardness: 350 ppm

Hi CD;

Sorry about the question about clarity -- didn't mean to ask that. Just when someone tells us the water is balanced, without numbers, we've learned it usually isn't.

OK, you've got some hard fill water. If those numbers are correct (remember, I don't trust the Rainbow kit -- it may be OK, but I don't know) AND if the AquaRite is working properly, you shouldn't be picking up scale. Let's do this:

1. Chlorinate manually for now. An easy way to do it is with undiluted dichlor
    ==> Sams Club "PoolBrand" 24lb box of dichlor shock - EXCELLENT price, if available. Otherwise
    ==> Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs @ Amazon
    (Almost all other locally available brands are diluted or mixed with goo.)

2. Raise your CYA to the recommended 80 ppm (if you use dichlor, you'll do both)

3. Clean your SWCG cell, per Hayward's AquaRite manual, pgs 8 & 9 (page order screwed up!):
    Servicing and Cleaning the Aqua Rite cell
    Turn off power to the Aqua Rite before removing the electrolytic cell. Once removed, look inside the cell and inspect for scale formation (light colored crusty or flaky deposits) on the plates and for any debris which has passed through the filter and caught on the plates. If no deposits are visible, reinstall. If deposits are seen, use a high pressure garden hose and try to flush the scale off. If this is not successful, use a plastic or wood
    tool (do not use metal as this will scratch the coating off the plates) and scrape deposits off of plates. Note that a buildup on the cell indicates that there is an unusually high calcium level in the pool (old pool water is usually the cause). If this is not corrected,
    you may to have to periodically clean the cell. The simplest way to avoid this is to bring the pool chemistry to the recommended levels as specified.

Mild Acid Washing: Use only in severe cases where flushing and scraping will not remove the majority of deposits. To acid wash, turn off power to Aqua Rite. Remove cell from piping. In a clean plastic container, mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid (one gallon of water to one quart of muriatic acid). ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER - NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and appropriate eye protection. The level of the solution in the container should just reach the top of the cell so that the wire harness compartment is NOT submerged. It may be helpful to coil the wiring before immersing the cell. The cell should soak for a few minutes and then rinse with a high pressure garden hose. If any deposits are still visible, repeat soaking and
    rinsing. Replace cell and inspect again periodically.
    4. Lower your alkalinity to 60 - 80 ppm (fine for vinyl pool): Lowering your Alkalinity Step by Step

5. Once your CYA> 75 ppm, your pool is algae free, and your TA < 80 ppm, turn your SWCG back on.

6. Re-inspect after a week, for scale. If there's no scale, simply continue, and maintain these conditions. Shock with bleach, when you need chlorine but no CYA; shock with dichlor, when your CYA is drifting down.

7. Maintain pH with muriatic acid (lowers) and 20 Mule Team Borax (raises). Do NOT use baking soda or washing soda (pH UP)

If this fails, we'll have to get fancy. But if this works, it's cheap and stable, and won't create other issues to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    If this fails, we'll have to get fancy. But if this works, it's cheap and stable, and won't create other issues to watch out for.
    Got some work to do. Off to Sam's this morning for shock. Otherwise I stop by the pool store and have the fill water tested making sure my data is correct. The pool water data I submitted was actually from the pool store which corresponded nearly perfectly with my own numbers. I will get back here and report progress (or lack of such) in a week.

I've learned now that I should always submit water data before asking. As for asking about the water being clear, no problem, it made go back out there and look one more time!

Thank you so much!

Just one quick question, you say shock with bleach. Do you mean household bleach?

+ Reply to Thread