+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: White residue on salt water chlorinator cell

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: White residue on salt water chlorinator cell

Plain 6% household bleach. Walmart store brand is preferred to Clorox, because with Clorox there's the chance of getting one of their gooped-up products, that's not suitable for pools.

Last question in this regard. I have been using this product for shocking and have some left:

SMART Chlorinating Solution: http://www.sunbeltchemicals.com/deta...elt_brands.php

Can I use this product for shocking now until it's used?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's just 10% bleach; it should be fine.

I've been adding a little acid per day and TA is down to 100, but another strange thing is happening. The sand filter (zeo sand) had gotten clogged up twice to the extent I had to backwash. When I backwashed what came out looked like skim milk, not the normal brownish looking stuff I normally see. What could cause this?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

My guess would be calcium that is now dissolving since your pH and alk are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by cdysthe View Post
    The sand filter (zeo sand) had gotten clogged up twice to the extent I had to backwash. When I backwashed what came out looked like skim milk, not the normal brownish looking stuff I normally see.
    Are you adding the bleach via the skimmer? If so, my guess is you may be precipitating calcium carbonate, and then trapping it on the filter. This is a GOOD thing.

Another way to check is to catch a bucket full of the backwash, and let it settle overnight. Pour off most of the water. Take a tablespoon of the white goop, and put it in a glass measuring cup. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar. If it bubbles -- it's at least partly calcium carbonate.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Are you adding the bleach via the skimmer? If so, my guess is you may be precipitating calcium carbonate, and then trapping it on the filter. This is a GOOD thing.

Another way to check is to catch a bucket full of the backwash, and let it settle overnight. Pour off most of the water. Take a tablespoon of the white goop, and put it in a glass measuring cup. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar. If it bubbles -- it's at least partly calcium carbonate.
    Yes, I have added the bleach to the skimmer since it's vinyl pool and I'm afraid of damage. I add it slowly thought for minimal damage to filter and pump. I did gather backwash last night and tested the goop with vinegar today. It bubbles. TA is now at 80 so I put the salt cell back in action, and guess what, no white residiue! PH is currently 7.0, but is rising because of evaporation and refill (Texas sun!). Thank you so much for all the advice. And btw, the water feels much nicer now also according to the kids who are able to sense every little difference in water quality simply because they are in there for hours every day. The best baby sitter ever!
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-18-2012 at 08:32 AM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cdysthe View Post
    The best baby sitter ever!
    That's an understatement!!!

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    That's an understatement!!!

Janet
    There were some errors in my previous post: The TA is now at 80, it says "not at 80". I can't find how to edit my post on this forum. Is it disabled?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I fixed it for you. I'm not sure if editing is disabled or not. If there is not an 'edit post' button on the lower right section (beside the 'reply' button,) then it must be disabled.

+ Reply to Thread