+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motor does not run

Default Motor does not run

Hello -
    I purchased my haywood pump 2 years ago. It was working great this year until 2 days ago. We turned it off one day, and had some rain that night. When I turned the pump back on, it is not working.
    There is power to the pump. The motor is NOT humming as I try to turn the pump back on. I am anticipating a problem with the electronics of the pump. Does anyone know a means to test the relays of the pump to see if a problem exists?
    Where might one purchase parts, if it can be determined that the relay has an issue? I do have an Ohmeter and experience in working with Electric componenets.

thanks,
    Brian

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Motor does not run

Pumps don't have any internal relays but timers do. Are you speaking of an external timer relay or perhaps the pump centrifugal switch?

If the motor is not humming when turned on, it may not be getting power. Check the breakers, especially if you have a GFCI breaker as those tend to trip in wet weather. Also, if you have experience with electrical components, then you should also know how to test if the pump is getting power.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

You said you have power to the pump. Do You mean you have power to the electrical outlet that the pump is plugged into, or do you have power all the way to the inside of the pump motor? As Mas985 stated GCFI's are notorious for these types of issues. Most motors have a small access panel where the connections are made between the Power cord and the motor circuit that have wire nuts to complete the connection. I would make sure you have power all the way down and that the wire nuts are good and tight. Of Course you will do this safetly and unplug the motor before opening it up. You could also look into those power testers that chirp when power is present. Most hardware stores will sell these in their electrical dept. fairly cheap. Those things are Life Savers.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Hello -
    I have tested that current is at the pump. A reset of the GFI breaker, and the switches, show currently flowing into the wire into the pump housing. I did not have my Ohmeter available so I cound not check the actual voltage level or amps. Since I was in a hurry I use a stupid voltage line checking device that sounds and lights when current is present. If the switches are off, no signals from the device, but if I turn the power switches on, then a line charge tone and light appeared (and constant) - so I am 99.5% certain it is not a problem with power at the moter. I do not know of a case where a manual switch reduces volt / amps to a device so that the full load was not available. Also, I would have anticipated other action out of the motor for that condition (humming, or a automatic turning off).
    As one reviews the controls in the motor casing, there appears to be relays, etc... that send power to the pump. However, I did not see a means to find replacement parts for the little bit of electronics on the device. Does anyone know of a electronic control component that is on the pumps.
    I still have my old pump, and I am thinking about seeing if the components look similar and if there is an easy way to put the old components on the new pump and try that.
    Any other suggestions? Any commentary from anyone who tried to move the electronics from 1 pump to another?

Thanks,

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

A pump motor will have only a capacitor and sometimes a centrifugal switch. A few motors have electronic switches but not much in the way of any electronics.

If the capacitor goes bad, the motor won't start but you should hear a hum.

Sometimes the contacts on the centrifugal switch can get corroded so the they do not make contact even when energized. With the motor breakers off, you can clean the contacts and see if that helps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread