+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward SP-710 Valve Question

Default Hayward SP-710 Valve Question

I have a Hayward S200 sand filter with a side mounted SP-710 valve. This valve is old and has some small hairline cracks in it. A few years ago I got a new SP-710 valve, but it was the wrong one. It doesn't have the tubes that go from the valve to the filter. Since I needed the internal valve assembly at the time, I swapped the top half out and it worked fine. Now the leaks from hairline cracks in the valve body are getting worse and I want to replumb everything. Is there any way to adapt this new valve body to my filter? I think the one I'm wanting to use is a 710X meaning it just has 1.5" threaded connections. I'm not exactly sure what the fittings are on the filter. I'm just trying to save $100+ for a new valve. Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward SP-710 Valve Question

I'm gonna post this, but I'll caution you that no one who hasn't tried it is likely to be sure -- and service guys would have no reason to risk it.

Smile Re: Hayward SP-710 Valve Question

Just an FYI for anyone in the same situation. Took the valve off the filter and the two adapters appeared to be screwed into the valve body, but were either glued or stuck. So we sawed them off and attached them to the new valve body using threaded adapters and a Fernco 1.5x1.5" rubber coupling. Everything is back up and running with all new plumbing. Other that the pump needing a new O-ring, all is dry.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward SP-710 Valve Question

Quote Originally Posted by dlmcmurr View Post
    using threaded adapters and a Fernco 1.5x1.5" rubber coupling.
    Keep an eye on that Fernco -- they don't handle pressure well. If it starts bulging, get THREE SS hose clamps large enough to over the Fernco. Install them, so the center one is over the gap, and the other two are about 3/8" away from the center one. If the gap is more than 1/2", you'll need additional clamps.

+ Reply to Thread