+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repairing an AG pool

Default Repairing an AG pool

We purchased this aluminum pool in 1994 (for about $3500), a 15'x30' (48"), and my husband built a really nice deck that curves around the short and one long side. We have a 3-4" tear in the liner about 5 inches from the top of the pool (a new liner replacement from 2009 or so) from our dog from last summer that we patched, but the patch failed. Husband called in a pool repair company (PRC).
    PRC charges $295 to diagnose problem, and this amount is applied to repair.
    Repair is supposed to cost $2,095.00 + $125 tax. We are astonished. PRC wants to utilize an in ground pool liner (Tech Liner, he called it) and below the liner, to protect against the small corrosion holes in the pool wall sides, put in a foam liner that he said was similar to a coffee cup foam.
    We don't know if he checked the rails that sit on the ground (they would be difficult to examine as the pool is 3/4 full of water) but we were told by another company that the pool, if showing corrosion on its side walls (there are several small spots corroding on one wall), is probably corroding on the rails as well, and therefore, needs entire replacement.
    The difficult part with complete replacement is that my husband does not want to rebuild his deck. He thinks they can't install a new similar pool while a deck is in place. Son suggests installing new pool a foot to the side and installing additional deck boards "to the pool".
    Does anyone else think a pool from 1994 is probably shot & needs simple replacement?
    Spending that kind of money on such an old, though quality, pool seems highly questionable.
    Thanks very much in advance for any help you can suggest.

Default Re: Repairing an AG pool

Hi Em Will, Welcome to the Forum. It basically boils down to structural integrity of the pool. Rust can be removed and the areas can be re-painted or coated if there isn't too much penetration into the supports and side walls. If the pieces are corroded clear through, then the ability to support the pool is compromised and in jeopardy. Where abouts is the pool located, in a dry climate or in high humidity?
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Thanks very much, BTG;

I appreciate your help. We're located in southeastern Pennsylvania. It's humid, but there are much more humid locations. No, the pieces are not corroded clear through at all.
    Glad to hear the price doesn't shock you like it did us; my wonderful husband is a DIY'er and neither of us is used to high ticket bills on our pool. I kind of like the guy at the company as he explains everything incredibly well. So, it's possibly an option.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Odds are, if you start repairs now, you'll lose a big part of your swim season.

If you use your pool much, I'd be inclined to attempt a big messy patch, use the pool till Aug, and then drain it can check the walls myself.

+ Reply to Thread