+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Pool Place is Driving me Nuts/Need Help

Default The Pool Place is Driving me Nuts/Need Help

I'm hoping someone can help me! This is my 4th Season and you would think I could get me chemicals straight, but with every other pool store telling me something different, its tough. Two years ago I stopped using traditional chemicals with the exception 3" chlorine tablets. I used copper sulphate one time in the beginning of the season, Biocarbonate (which I thought was for the PH, but after reading this forum I think it is for the Alk.), and bleach for chlorine. This year everything is pretty good but i can't seem to get the chlorine levels up. I have tried bleach (as much as 6 gallons), and cal/hydro powder (6 pounds- per pool store reccomendation). I checked it again this morning and the PH is a little low (6.8) and the chlorine is still reading 0. can someone please advise what I'm doing wrong. 18,000 gal pool, vinyl liner, sand filter. Also, what should I use to raise the PH up a little. I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks Y'all

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: The Pool Place is Driving me Nuts/Need Help

Have you checked your CYA level? If you have no CYA in the water, then your chlorine won't last longer than a few hours on a sunny day. If you have CYA in the water, then you have something in the water that needs cleaning up, and more chlorine is the key.

To raise pH, use 20-Mule Team Borax.

Janet

Thanks Janet,

What is "CYA" and do I buy the Borax at a pool store, or any local Grocery store?

Thanks again

There is a very good post, were all the little things we need to know are explained and how to get started to know the water chemistry. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1113

This ist my first season and because of all this great tips in this forum I love my pool more and more with every day

Guido

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

CYa is cyanuric acid, or isocyanuric acid. It is usually labelled balancer, conditioner, or stabilizer. You can get it in the pool section at WalMart, or at Home Depot or a pool store. Borax is sold at WalMart or any grocery store in the laundry aisle, near the bleach--it comes in a big green box.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread