+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing new pump and filter

Default Installing new pump and filter

I have a 25 yo SuperPump w/1.5 single speed 3 yo motor and S240 high rate 300 lb sand filter. I fried both bearings due to leak at pump to valve union (bandaids would no longer hold).

30K vinyl inground, all 1.5" piping, 3 suction (2 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 returns (all 3/4" eyeballs)) no other features. Pool is open 4 months out of the year and yes, I leave the pump out all winter (as the previous owner did, I've been here 3 years)

I have sitting in my garage a SP3205EE Hayward TriStar High Performance Pump - Energy Efficient and a
    S244S]Hayward Pro Series Side Mount Sand Filter. With 20/20 hindsight, I should probably have a 2 speed 3/4 hp Super Pump but that is moot at this point :-)

My question - what are the concerns with the Tristar's wet end (Ben?) and is there anything I can do to mitigate them. Is plumbing and wiring to make bringing in the pump for the winter easier worthwhile? Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Input to the pump is configured thus currently: (distance Jandy to pump is <7 inches)
    skimmer main drain, ball valve
    | |
    3way Jandy ----------- pump
    |
    skimmer

Is this a train-wreck config? Should they all feed parallel into a manifold which then goes to pump?

Thank you. I've been reading the Forum for 2 years now and spreading The Word.

ShynShort

ps happy to be data source for above equipment and chemical use

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Installing new pump and filter

I may have been careless -- I have no personal experience with either the NorthStar or the Tristar, but the local rep (among the crowd that appear at the pool wholesalers) is that the Hayward 'star pumps are to be avoided. However, when Mark asked about this, I realized that this may be due to the discontinued Northstar, rather than the Tristar.

I'll try to check in the AM, when I'm at SCP

In any case, the problems I've heard of all have to do with reliability and serviceability, not efficiency.

Per my installer's instructions, I am returning the Tristar (issues w/going from 2" openings of pump to 1.5" of multiport and pool piping, also lid hard to open, rapid gasket failure in his experience).

So now my conundrum is do I keep original pump housing, step the motor down from 1.5 to 1 hp (or .75?) and replace the impeller and shaft seals or buy a whole new 1 (or .75) hp pump?

I appreciate anyone's input

Shynshort (who always over analyzes decisions ;-)

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Given the age of the housing, I would be more inclined to get a new pump. But this time, I would strongly recommend a two speed.

Since you have two skimmers and a main drain, you might be better off with a 1 HP Superflo. Plus, it is a 230v pump which I suspect is the same as your old pump (?). That way you won't have change the wiring as well. But double check your current pump voltage setup.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread