+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leaves

Talking leaves

Hi,
    Every year when I open the pool, despite my best efforts, and a leaf net which goes on in September, I end up with masses of leaves in the deeper sections of my pool. After being there all spring, they are slimey, smelly, and raise havoc with my chemicals in the Spring. Does anyone have a suggestion for a pool cleaner, or a great idea for getting the leaves out right away? I live in Wisconsin , so until the end of May, water temperature prohibits me from getting in to dig them out. I have a 20,ooo gallon 16x32 above ground pool which is submerged to 6 feet on 1 end. Any great ideas or suggestions would be so.....appreciated!
    16'x32' oval 20K gal AG pool; Liquid Bleach; Hayward pro series, 18 inch sand filter; Hayward Pro series 1.5 hp pump; 15 - 20hrs; Taylor, k2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:6

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: leaves

Hi Mrs. rainbow,

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any replies to this--I'm not sure how, but I missed it, too.....

Do you have a leaf net? It fits on the end of your telescoping pole and looks a little like a butterfly net with a squeegee attached on one side. It allows you to scoop the leaves out of the pool without having to get in. I got mine at my local Mom n' Pop store, but I think WalMart and most chain stores sell them, too. I don't have any trees in my yard, but my neighbor has a literal forest--and in the winter, all her leaves blow over my fence and straight into the pool. I have a Polaris that is great with leaves, but doesn't run well in water below about 70 degrees, so for me the leaf net is a real lifesaver.
    Janet

Thanks Janet, I will check this out. I appreciate your help
    16'x32' oval 20K gal AG pool; Liquid Bleach; Hayward pro series, 18 inch sand filter; Hayward Pro series 1.5 hp pump; 15 - 20hrs; Taylor, k2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:6

They also make "leaf vacs" that attach to the garden hose. They are not perfect, but they do work pretty well with some maneuvering.

I bought one like this - -

The water from your hose blows up into a net, which sucks the leaves in. We just had a huge storm and it worked perfectly for the big leaves, and even sticks and "acorn" type stuff.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-16-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks for the tip, I will check this out!

+ Reply to Thread