+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing stains from a gunite pool with ascorbic acid

lstinthot is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst lstinthot 0

Default Removing stains from a gunite pool with ascorbic acid

I am getting ready to try this on a pool here. Are you switching to cal hypo after Ph is back up to try to get the metals to come out of solution in the filter? Raising the Cl` levels high in the filter before it makes it way back to the pool as a second way to remove the metals? Is it really worth buying the Culator if we are going to deposit the metal in the filter in this manner?

thanks

Mike
    ~36,000g IG gunite -- 2Hp Pentair UltraFlow filter pump - replaced with 2 speed 1 1/2 HP ultraquite pump -- 3/4 HP vacuum booster pump -- DE filter --K-2006 test kit

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Removing stains from a gunite pool with ascorbic acid

Hi Mike;

I don't know what happened to him, but "MountainStone"has disappeared, and is not responding to emails. I know he bought some of the stuff; I'm not sure if he ever followed through.

So it would be better to start a new thread. I can answer some of your questions.

1. Using cal hypo as described can coat the filter with calcium carbonate particles, which are themselves VERY susceptible to being stained. When you also create an oxidizing environment (from the chlorine) you make any metal in the water READY to stain. So what happens (at least some of the time) is that the metal stains the dust on the filter, rather than the plaster on the side of the pool. And, when you clean your filter, you actually (finally!) remove those metals from your pool.

2. We don't know that the CuLator is worth it. I'd hoped we were going to get a clearer picture from MountainStone, but so far, we do not have any confirmation that it works as advertised. We *think* it does; as described the mode of operation is plausble; but we still don't have definite proof.

Oh and for reference, here's the original thread:
    Ascorbic acid treatment for stains, which sequestering agent to use?

lstinthot is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst lstinthot 0

I am doing this process on a vinyl liner pool, my neighbors pool. Would you recommend the same process? Looks like Amazon is out of the HDEP stuff for a couple of weeks. Found it at Sears online for twice the price. Also found a 5 pound bag of Asorbic acid for $35 at a different website.

Like to use Amazon going through this site to help you out when I can.

You can see where I performed the Vitamin C test on the stairs at their pool in post #17 of this thread.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...hallenge/page2

My pool is concrete and has stains but the Vitamin C test did not clear the stains. Not sure what they are, they were there when I bought the place 9 months ago.
    ~36,000g IG gunite -- 2Hp Pentair UltraFlow filter pump - replaced with 2 speed 1 1/2 HP ultraquite pump -- 3/4 HP vacuum booster pump -- DE filter --K-2006 test kit

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

See if the Jacks Magic product is available:
    Jacks Magic The Pink Stuff 1qt (60% HEDP) @ Amazon
    20% KemTek HEDP @ Amazon
    Note that this particular Jacks product contains 3x the amount of HEDP per quart that the Kem-Tek does.

Also, somebody found a giant size vitamin C at Amazon:
    Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Powder USP Pharma Grade 11 Lbs
    That's probably more than you need, but it should keep if you store it carefully.

+ Reply to Thread