+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smell

Default smell

I notice a faint smell that has a fishiness to it. What does that? I also am not sure of the best way to clean the dingy/dirty portion of the liner at and above the water level. I have a hand held scrubber for pool liners I just dont know if using a mild soap is bad or just a bleach water solution.

Default Re: smell

Don't use soap. Have a container of baking soda ready and dip a white pot scrubber (not green, red, or blue as they're too abrasive) in the baking soda, then rub the scum line. I have also used those white Magic Erasers successfully though they do contain abrasives and can dull the liner.

Please tell us about your pool: inground? above ground? what size? what kind of pump and filtration? what method of sanitation do you use? how do you test your water? We need this information to help you diagnose and treat the odor.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I have one of those blue sponge scrubbers sold in the pool section at the big box retailers.

I have an 18' 52" deep above ground with a Hayward sand filter. I think the pump motor is a 1 HP. I use 1' chlorine tablets with a floater and 1 pound bags of shock. I have a basic ph and chlorine re-agent tester and have some strips but I know those do lack accuracy.

I think this is my 4th or 5th season with this pool and I generally have little problems maintaining clear water. I use a cover in winter to keep out leaves. It gets full sun until about 3 to 4 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Well it seems mother nature corrected the liner scum buildup. We had some rain so I guess it knocked it off. Funny I sprayed it with the hose and that did not seem to want to remove it.

The debris collected in various pockets on the deck side of the pool. I read a tip here on another thread about using the manual vacuum head and just letting the water siphon out to remove the fine stuff and not send it into the filter. That worked great! Very little impact on water loss rather than using the pump through the waste of the filter valve. I'm glad I saw that tip!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good job. Did the smell go away?

I was in it yesterday with a scrubber getting the little bit of remaining stuff the rain didn't remove I did not notice any smell. The upper portion of the liner looks much better.

Forums like this are great tools for DYI'ers! I work on all kinds of things and forums are my first source for info. Often I can find the same situation posted and if I get lucky the solution as well. Its a great time saver.

Glad it's resolved.

Nearly all homeowner pools develop the same problems eventually and you're right, with a little bit of searching you can generally find a solution or at least get some good ideas to try.

+ Reply to Thread