+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first results of year, re-filled pool end of last year

Default first results of year, re-filled pool end of last year

Hi,

we emptied our pool last year to resurface the bottom and fix tiles. We opened the pool a couple of weeks ago, had to replace our filter, so I've been using floaters to prevent an algae bloom and it's been pretty clear. This week we had the filter running, got all the leaves up, I vacuumed the pool yesterday and it was very clear.

Last night i tested the pool and there was zero chlorine and the ph was 6.8. I dumped in three boxes of borax and added bleach. Woke up this morning to a cloudy pool. Here are the results from the ps-234 test kit (serial number 6504!):

pool: 28K gunite
    fc - 2
    cc - 2
    tc - 4
    ph - 7
    alk - 20
    cal - 80
    cya - dunno, my test kit is out of cya reagent!

all advice welcome.

tia,

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: first results of year, re-filled pool end of last year

If your pool has only been open a couple of weeks and you have only been using a few trichlor tabs, your CYA can't be too high yet. So, I'm going to suggest shocking the pool up to about 15ppm and try and keep it at that level consistently by testing a couple times a day and each time adding enough bleach to get back to that level. Each gallon of bleach in your pool will add about 2ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help you figure out doses of bleach to add when you test.

Your pH needs to come up some more. Go ahead and add some more Borax and try and get it between 7.2-7.8 although I like 7.4-7.6 best. Don't forget that pH test results will be inaccurate when your chlorine levels are high, so test it before you add bleach in the evenings. Your alk is also pretty low. Go ahead and start adding some baking soda to raise it a couple lbs. at a time. You can add baking soda and Borax at the same and they both go into the skimmer slowly while the pump is running.

Once your cloudiness is cleared, you should switch to using some cal-hypo for awhile to add needed calcium. You'll want a CH reading between 200-400.

Order some CYA reagent so you can get a reading as that is an important one to know.

Hope this helps!

thanks, you wouldn't add calcium? seems like it would be hard to move from 80 to 250 just using tabs.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Cal-hypo is not tabs. It is a type of granular chlorine. You could just add calcium instead, if you prefer.

oh, got it, thanks!

ok, raised chlorine as advised for a couple of days, the water is no longer cloudy. Added calcium, baking soda and borax. I received the 2006-c kit, here are my first test results with the new kit:

pool: 28K gunite
    fc - 1.2
    cc - .4
    ph - 7
    alk - 30
    cal - 150
    cya - 10

dang, it looks to me like I need to add cy acid, more calcium, borax and baking soda. Any particular order?

tia

You can actually work on all them. Or, maybe do bleach, borax, baking soda and then after you get your pH up a bit and get a little more chlorine in there, then worry about raising your calcium.

Are you just going to use the trichlor tabs to add your CYA or add some separately?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    You can actually work on all them. Or, maybe do bleach, borax, baking soda and then after you get your pH up a bit and get a little more chlorine in there, then worry about raising your calcium.

Are you just going to use the trichlor tabs to add your CYA or add some separately?
    thanks, I threw in a box of borax, a couple pounds of baking soda and 25 pounds of calcium tonight. I'm concerned the water is corrosive right now. My cl is low again probably because the cya is low, so I'm thinking adding cya is a quicker fix.

25 lbs. of anything all at once is a LOT! I wouldn't recommend adding such large quantities of anything in one application. Better to use smaller amounts.

I guess I'm worried about the corrosive nature of the water, how long does it take before damage is done?

+ Reply to Thread