+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter sock has clogged supply line

Default Filter sock has clogged supply line

I think I've gone and done it now...
    We have a very old pool (built in the 50's) that had no skimmers. I recently had a local pool store add a skimmer to one of the supply lines. It most definitely looks rigged but allows for adding DE, etc. via the skimmer and allows for vacuuming with a skimmer basket.
    This morning I managed to allow a skimmer sock to be pulled into the supply line. It appears to have totally clogged that line as there's no movement of water in that skimmer now. I pulled the skimmer (it's retro-fitted to a cast iron pipe with removable fitting) and still no suction on the cast iron.
    I tried pushing a fish stick and fish tape (electrician tools for running wire) into the line in hopes of snagging the skimmer sock but there appears to be an elbow within feet of the port so I got nothing.
    I'm fearing the worst now - that I'm looking at excavating the cast iron. Any other suggestions? Wondering if I can get some water pressure going the other way to push the sock back out?
    Pool: 40K gal, 20' x 50', 8' deep - In-ground / Concrete w/ Zeron epoxy paint ● Pump: Hayward Super Pump (2HP) ● DE Filter: Nautilus FNS - 48 ft^2 ● Valve: Pentair SM-20-2; SWG: Pool Pilot with CC-15 cell

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Filter sock has clogged supply line

Maybe try to suck it out the way it went in with a shop vac?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to The Forum!

Have you tried twisting the fishtape when you hit the elbow? (This sometimes works - turn the whole reel 5 - 10 times while pushing the wire into the pipe)

If you can isolate that line at the pump , wrap a rag around the end of a garden hose and 'blast' water backwards through the pipe. Similarly, there is a product called A Drain King that attaches to a garden hose and sometimes works.

If water won't do the trick, try air, blown from the pump side of th4e pipe. Some shop vacs have a blow port. If you can get an expandable rubber winterizing plug with a Shrader (sp?) or tank valve (the fill stem on a tire) you can use a compressor or a bicycle tire pump to force air into the pipe.

Good luck with this, please let us know how it works out.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Tried the shop vac and got nothing. I'm getting a pretty good suction but nothing moving. The hose with a high pressure nossle will be next. Thanks for the suggestions and will keep all posted.
    Pool: 40K gal, 20' x 50', 8' deep - In-ground / Concrete w/ Zeron epoxy paint ● Pump: Hayward Super Pump (2HP) ● DE Filter: Nautilus FNS - 48 ft^2 ● Valve: Pentair SM-20-2; SWG: Pool Pilot with CC-15 cell

All clear!!! I got a Rigid (brand) 25' plumbing snake at HD last night and had it unclogged within 30 minutes or less. The snake worked just like it's supposed to. Thanks for the comments and feedback.

+ Reply to Thread