+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air in lines and unstable pressure after cleaning filter

Default Air in lines and unstable pressure after cleaning filter

We got the water from green to less green and milky - so I think we're winning against the algae. But we noticed DE coming into pool via returns when adding some to skimmer. Opened up the filter (Pentair FNS 48) and found the grids in bad shape and the manifold cracked. Got new innards for the filter and installed today. I opened the relief valve on top of filter and turned pump on set to backwash until water coming from bleed valve. All went fine and then set to filter. It's running but there is air coming out of one of the returns (for 8 hrs now). Also, the pressure is sort of surging. It is a bit unsteady in the 12 psi range but then surges up to 20 or so and I can hear the pump surging. It seems to have calmed down somewhat but not as smooth as it was before I opened the filter.
    Any advice? Also, I believe there's air in the pump filter as I can see water drops on the inside of the lid. I tried turning pump off and opening filter pot to fill with water which seems to work but later I see it is not full of water.
    Pool: 40K gal, 20' x 50', 8' deep - In-ground / Concrete w/ Zeron epoxy paint ● Pump: Hayward Super Pump (2HP) ● DE Filter: Nautilus FNS - 48 ft^2 ● Valve: Pentair SM-20-2; SWG: Pool Pilot with CC-15 cell

Default Re: Air in lines and unstable pressure after cleaning filter

Update...
    I believe the air was coming from the skimmer somehow. I know this as now that I managed to let a filter sock get sucked through skimmer port and thus clogging that line the pressure has leveled out, pump sounds normal, and filter pot looks to be full of water.
    I'll start a new thread on my filter sock fiasco to see just how bad a situation I'm in now.
    Pool: 40K gal, 20' x 50', 8' deep - In-ground / Concrete w/ Zeron epoxy paint ● Pump: Hayward Super Pump (2HP) ● DE Filter: Nautilus FNS - 48 ft^2 ● Valve: Pentair SM-20-2; SWG: Pool Pilot with CC-15 cell

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Is your water level low? Does your weir door work correctly? Perhaps your were sucking air through skimmer by draining the skimmer faster than the water could flow in.

Strange fix though, I'd like to think I wouldn't have done it that way, but, chances are I will.

I got the filter sock out of the line and hooked the skimmer back up and all seems OK now. I worked on lubing the neoprene fitting where the skimmer ties in (it's a retro-fit skimmer so I can attach/detach it) and I don't think we're sucking air any longer.

+ Reply to Thread