+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which CYA test kit is more accurate?

Default Which CYA test kit is more accurate?

I'm currently using a Taylor kit (K-1720; 20-100ppm range). It uses a 15ml water sample size and requires 15ml of reagent (R-0013) for each test.

I noticed that Taylor now has a kit (K-1721; 30-100ppm range) that uses a 7ml water sample and requires 7ml of the same reagent (also R-0013).

I'm thinking of replacing my old kit with the new one since it will save me money on reagent (I've had to use more this year due to lots of heavy rain).

Which brings me to my question; are both kits equally accurate or is one more accurate than the other?

Thanks.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Which CYA test kit is more accurate?

They are both the same. You need a 50/50 mix of pool water and R-0013 either way. That test is so subjective anyways that it isn't really possible to get a definite number.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    They are both the same. You need a 50/50 mix of pool water and R-0013 either way. That test is so subjective anyways that it isn't really possible to get a definite number.
    Thanks. Is there another test that's more accurate? Or is this as good as it gets?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

It's really as good as it gets. Believe it or not the colorimeters used by some pool stores actually have less precision (+10/-25 ppm) on this test than the 'disappearing dot" and they are better then any home colorimeter
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    It's really as good as it gets. Believe it or not the colorimeters used by some pool stores actually have less precision (+10/-25 ppm) on this test than the 'disappearing dot" and they are better then any home colorimeter
    Yeah, I've gotten some pretty wacky results from pool store testing. I think I'll go ahead and get the newer kit that uses a small sample size and less reagent; over time it'll save me some $$ and hassle reordering reagent.

Thanks again for your help.

I went ahead and ordered the new replacement for my old CYA Taylor test kit so I don't have to use near as much reagent. BTW, if like me you can do without the case and instruction sheet (instructions are available online on Taylor's site anyway), you can save about $17 just by ordering the parts needed from Taylor (bottle, tube, and reagent [I ordered the 2oz size]).

Thanks again for the feedback.

+ Reply to Thread