+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is bigger better? Reposted in proper thread

Cool Is bigger better? Reposted in proper thread

Good afternoon!
    I will be purchasing a Pentair EasyTouch system with the SWG included. My pool will be appx 24,000 Gal. Is it worth the extra $200 to go up to the IC60 cell (60k/Gal vs 40k /Gal)? I know sometimes bigger is better, but will it benefit me in the long run to make that jump? I know everyone is busy, and if anyone can let me know by Weds the 6th of June, I would be eternally grateful (that's when I buy the system)
    Thanks!
    Mark

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Is bigger better? Reposted in proper thread

I deleted your other thread. Please don't double post. If you find that you have it in the wrong forum and want it moved, you can ask put a post asking a moderator to move it for you. Hopefully you'll get some advice on your question.

Good luck.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Yes, The prevailing opinion is that larger is better as far as SWCG cell size goes. It makes sense, larger cell has less load for same amount of chlorine produced so should last longer.

One of the main reasons for going bigger is simply run time. If you buy a unit that will only generate enough chlorine that barely meets your sanitation needs, (see Ben's Best Guess Chart) you may have to run your system almost 24/7. A bigger unit can generate the same amount of chlorine with less run time. This way, you're not sending tons of money to the Electric company every month, and not burning out your Salt cell so fast. I normally recommend 2x-3x bigger than you need. Your unit should be rated for 48k-72k gallons. Go with the IC60 unit, that puts you at approx. 2 1/2x ! For the extra $200 it is WELL worth the money!
    Last edited by BigTallGuy; 06-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

+ Reply to Thread