+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool liner feels like sandpaper

Default Pool liner feels like sandpaper

I noticed a previous post about this, but it was an igp, mine is an agp. I have no idea how to deal with it. The pool store gave me some scale prevention, but it really didn't do anything. I don't know if my water is cloudy, or if the scale build up is so heavy that I can't see through it. This is only our second season start up, and I am ready to sell it!
    Start up this year has been horrible!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Pool liner feels like sandpaper

Don't sell it yet. Give us a set of test results, taken with a drop-based kit, and tell us what you have put into the pool (ingredients, not just "shock"). Also, if you can take some pics, send them to poolforum@gmail.com, along with the URL of this thread so Ben will know where to put them.
    Janet

At 8:00 pm the Chlorine .4, TA seems to be 200, PH 7.7. Where to begin on what we have put in the pool?-We have been through roughly 16 cases of shock, 1 gallon of muriatic acid, 1 container of phosphate remover, 2 treatments of Poolife mustard algae treatment. The liner has felt like sandpaper since we first opened it.
    We have a Pentair 1.5hp pump, with a sand filter. Last night I put in 4 gallons of chlorine and this morning it still showed 3.0.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Ok--what is the volume of your pool? what is the ingredient of the "shock", and how much constitutes 1 case? What testing kit are you using? What is your Calcium level?

What you're describing could be calcium scale, or could be sand algae--can you describe what it looks like? What color is it?

It is a 26,000 gallon pool. 1 case is 4 gallons of 12.5% sodium hypochlorite. The testing kit is Poolmaster Basic 5 test kit, uses drops.(plan on buying the kit recommended on this site) The last calcium level was 154, according to the pool store test. I assumed the scale was calcium, from PH being too high? It is white and crusty, just like the feel of medium grit sandpaper. We have had a DE filter, but just couldn't keep up with the clean up, so we switched to a sand filter last week. We also use the FROG system. I will try to get a picture sent in.
    I just put in 2 more gallons, really not sure what I am doing at this point. Last year the start up was picture perfect, and the upkeep for the summer was easy. This is only my second year to start up. The one pool store just told me to keep pouring the chlorine in, and backwash the DE filter as often as needed, which was about every 20 minutes. R

Each gallon of 12.5% should raise your FC by approx. 4.8 ppm. In order to attain shock level, you need to know your CYA (see the link to the best guess chlorine chart in my sig for more info and for the chart). If your CYA is 0, then you'll need to reach 12-15 ppm of chlorine in order to achieve shock level. If you have green in the pool, you'll need to reach and maintain shock level until it clears.

Can you break off a piece of the scale? If so, put it in a covered jar with some white vinegar overnight and see if it dissolves. If so, there are folks here on the forum who can instruct you in what's needed to dissolve it back into your pool water, but definitely don't use any cal-hypo for chlorination until that's addressed.

Thanks for your quick replies! Ok, so how do I reach and maintain shock level if my CYA level is 0. According to the pool store it was 9 (that was Sunday) Isn't that the stabilizer? I have been maintaining chlorine level overnight, and then losing it during the day. I am sorry for my stupidity here...I have been doing as much reading on this website as I can! I have the FROG mineral reservoir, and thought that was supposed to be helping with maintaining a chlorine level, if so, it doesn't seem to be doing much.

As for the scale, I can't really break of a piece. It did seem to brush off easier when we brought the PH down.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I would ditch the Frog. It adds copper to the water which you don't want. Copper is what turns hair green and can stain pools. How long have you been using it? If for very long, you might want to have a pool store test your water for metals before shocking the pool. Shocking can cause metals to fall out of suspension and stain things. If you do indeed have metal in there, you would need to use a metal sequestering product. We'll talk about that after you get the metals test done.

I'm going to ask Ben to look in on this thread. Sit tight for now. (But, if you can get the metals test done today, that would be another piece of information that you could have.)

I just want to thank all of you who help us pool "newbies"! Ok, can I do that without a test kit that is recommended on this site. I have one ordered, but for now only have a Basic 5 kit from the pool store.
    We used the Frog last summer and have had it going this year for about 3 weeks. The pool store tested the water Sunday and according to their test: "ClearCare Expert"
    there was no iron or copper. I find this hard to believe, as we fill the pool with well water. Where else can I have it tested?
    Thanks again! I am trying to learn as much as I can from reading, but it can be very overwhelming!

Pool store is about the only place to have metals tested, unless you want to buy the kit yourself and test, but I think they're too expensive for one-time use....

I know there's a lot of information out there, and it seems very complicated, but it's really not--it just takes practice. Eventually this will all begin to make sense and you'll wonder why you thought it was so hard!

Get some chlorine in the pool--0.4 ppm isn't enough to keep the algae away. I would put a gallon in today, and then if you plan to shock it, wait until tonight when the sun is off the pool and do it then. Can you tell if you're losing chlorine overnight, or is it just during the day when the sun is out?
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread