+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New pool owner bbb ?

Default New pool owner bbb ?

I am sure this question has been answered 1k times over.
    I just bought a house back in October that had a above ground pool. I sort of know how to take care of the pool. My parents used to have a above ground pool.
    The pool is a 12x18 pool with a Hayward DE filter.
    I opened the pool a week or so ago and have the water Crystal Clear. the PH is just about right might be a tad high but it is around 7.8
    I have a few tablets the old homeowner left so i been using them for now.
    I remember when my parents had a pool they always complained about the cost of Chemicals. Basic Chem tells me that Chlorine is bleach but pool shock or liquid Chlorine has more strength to it.
    I started doing some basic web searching and found this BBB method.
    I just so not know how to start it or what i need to do.
    Like how much Liquid bleach do i need to keep the water at 2ppm how much Baking soda or borax to get other levels right.

Currently the only test kit i have is some DYE kit. Red PH and yellow Chlorine test. I can get those numbers right according to the color chart with what i have. However once i run through the costly pool store stuff i would like to try BBB.

Please assist.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New pool owner bbb ?

Hi, and welcome!!

We'll be happy to help you adopt this method of pool care, but you need a good test kit. We strongly encourage folks to get the k-2006 that can be bought several places online, but at a good price in the link in my sig. Once you get the kit, run a set of numbers, post them, and we'll be happy to help you go from there!
    Janet

so the kit i have is not enough ?
    My water is crystal clear already lucky me

i can not click on your link there. it says i do not have Access to.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Might have to give it a day or two before Ben finishes your registration--once it's upgraded, you'll be able to clink on the link. The test kit you have is good for testing chlorine and pH--but will not test for alk or CYA. The alk isn't that crucial in most cases, but the CYA is--the CYA is what's going to determine how high you need to keep your chlorine.

Do you know the volume of your pool? We'll need to know that to help calculate how much of a chem is required to change from one value to another.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Wait until the end of the week to try and order the kit Janet recommended. The Amazon sellers that we usually refer people to are apparently out of stock but they typically restock fairly quickly. When you check, if Amato Industries is shown as having them in stock, go ahead. They have a good price for it.

about 5400k gallons

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

On a 5,400 gallon pool, a gallon of plain 6% household bleach will add about 12 ppm of free chlorine.

The OTO / phenol red 'dye' kit is MUCH more reliable than the test strips usually sold today. However, there's no 'cheapie' way to measure CYA (cyanuric acid), plus if you run your chlorine levels correctly, as a function of your CYA level, you have to be able to measure higher levels of chlorine than you can easily do with OTO.

yes but what about the borax and baking soda. what are they used for and how much would be needed for PH changes ?
    12'x18' oval 5.2K gal AG vinyl pool; DE filter fast tablets; ec 40 DE filter; not sure pump; hrs; just a standard dye kit. oh/chlorine only; garden hose; PF:23

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Wrag;

Borax is used to raise the pH, or to create a borate residual > 50 ppm, which makes your pool somewhat resistant to algae, and tends to make it 'sparkle' more, apparently by modifying the refractive index of water slightly.

Baking soda is used to raise alkalinity -- it's EXACTLY the same chemical as is sold by pool stores as "Alkalinity Increaser"

If you would, please post your pool info -- it helps us keep give better info.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

12x18 AG pool
    4 feet deep.

so i would use the same amount of baking soda as i would of the pool store chemical
    ?
    12'x18' oval 5.2K gal AG vinyl pool; DE filter fast tablets; ec 40 DE filter; not sure pump; hrs; just a standard dye kit. oh/chlorine only; garden hose; PF:23

+ Reply to Thread