+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skin rash

Default Skin rash

For the past few years I get a rash when swimming in my heated pool. I switched to bromine which fixed the problem but I can't deal with the water issues (mold, cloudy water etc). I am now using the enjoy system with the same problem. My gut tells me it isn't a chlorine problem but something else causing it so I wanted some tips on a good test kit and what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Skin rash

My bet would be high combined chloramines, which also are known for eye irritation and that chlorine smell you smell when walking around a pool with inadequate chlorine levels. The kit we highly recommend is the K-2006, which can be bought online at a good price using the Amazon link in my sig. It will test both chlorine and combined chlorine levels. You also might want to check out the link to the "best guess chlorine chart" while you're at it, and it should explain proper chlorine levels being determined by CYA.

Welcome to the forum!!

Oh, until your registration is complete, you might have to log out to be able to follow those links, but once your registration is upgraded, that will no longer be necessary,.
    Janet

When I try to click On the link in your signature I get a message that I do not have permission to view
    =====================
    Sorry. I just saw where I have to log out to access the links

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

What have you been using?

If it's bromine tablets (BCDMH -- bromo-chloro-dimethyl hydantoin), that may be the source of the problem. BCDMH use leaves high levels of dimethyl hydantoin, a known severe skin irritant, and which also reduces the effectiveness of low levels of bromine.

Is this pool indoors?

Also, why did you title your post "skin rash"? Are you still getting skin irritation problems?

Wow - so sorry. I never received notification of a reply to my post. I used baqua junk which was great for my skin but I was always battling a green swamp and couldn't deal with the stress and aggrivation of trying to clear the water. This year I opened the pool using the enjoy system which caused the rash to come back.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I tried, but N Jonas, the company that packages the chemicals labeled under the Enjoy brand, has worked quite hard to keep people like me from finding out what's in them.

I can tell you that the general rule with pool chemicals is, "if you can't find out what's in it, you probably don't want it in your pool!" So far, in those cases where we eventually DID find out what was in them, the rule -- you didn't want that stuff in your pool in the first place -- has always held true.

In your case, I suspect Enjoy chemicals contain copper (stains, green hair, poor sanitation) and potassium monopersulfate (poor sanitation, skin irritation, possible allergic reactions). But, I only suspect.

If you will take high resolution photos of all the Enjoy product containers -- so that I can read all the fine print -- I can probably work out what's in them. If you do so, send them to poolforum@gmail.com

But, meanwhile, so long as you use 'mystery pool goo' like Enjoy, we can't help you. (Which is EXACTLY what N Jonas wants!).

Right now I am back on plain ol chlorine. I am switching over to a salt chlorine generator this week but I expect to continue to have skin issues until I determine what the heck in this pool is causing it. Should I get the k-2006 test kit to test everything or do you suggest something different with me converting to the new system? Since I have used baqcrap, chlorine and enjoy this year I think I have really confused water - although it does look crystal clear for the first time in years (since I always used baq). Let me also mention that I am the ONLY person that has a reaction going in the pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes to getting a K-2006. What kind of filter do you have? Did you change out your filter media?

If you don't mind, would you please put your pool's information in our pool chart. It makes it easier for someone here to help.
    Pool Chart Entry Form

I completed the pool chart the best I could. I have a sand filter and have not changed it out yet. We were going to change it when the generator is put on. does that make sense?

How are things working out for you?

+ Reply to Thread