+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oak trees and pools: like hair and chewing gum

Default Oak trees and pools: like hair and chewing gum

I have an above ground pool and we are getting it installed this week. I want to put it in the most level area of my yard wich would put it partially under a pin oak tree. I know I will get the ocassional leaf or small twig in the pool. My question is, will the pool being under the tree cause any water quality issues from leaves or sticks getting in the pool? Thanks for any help on this.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New member with question

The only real problem I can see with the sticks is the possibility that they'll poke holes in the liner, but if you're diligent about keeping them out, then you'll probably be okay. Water-wise it won't cause too much of a problem. I think you're going to get more than the occasional leaf in the pool, though--make sure you have a really good vacuum!!

Welcome to the forum!!
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Oak trees and pools: like hair and chewing gum

+ 100 - 200 acorns in fall
    + many small twigs (pin oaks shed them)
    + pin oak leaves high in tannins can stain your pool

Here the US FS page: http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_qupa2.pdf

Trees with acorns and oak leaves go together with pools, like hair and fresh chewing gum. You'll be getting very skilled with a hand vacuum and a leaf net.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-29-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix title

Default Re: Oak trees and pools: like hair and chewing gum

If you are diligent about cleaning out the sticks & leaves it is manageable. My parents pool is directly under a sweet gum, which is a real pain in the behind, because it drops leaves in late summer and sweet gum balls (sharp pointy balls).

On our pool, we have to deal with pine trees. The needles are awful because they are thin enough to go through the skimmer basket and get into the pump impeller.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-29-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fix title
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re:Oak trees and pools: like hair and chewing gum

My AG is under pin oaks. In the sping, they drop flowers (I think they're flowers) then tons of pollen and pollen strings. Little (and sometimes big) sticks all year long. Leaves and acorns all summer and fall. Leaves continue to fall 'til January.
    My solution: Robot Cleaner - realtively cheap and picks up almost everything the trees drop in (except big sticks).
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-29-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fix title
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread