+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

Default Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

I have used Baquacil for 2 seasons and I'm done. Could not get water clear last year and started noticing pink slime also suffered too much sticker shock to go on. I winterized the pool according to the Baquacil way. I pulled the mesh cover off this season (last weekend) and had some algae so I brushed and vacuumed to waste what I could then dumped half a box of borax in to help with the algae. I have a 16 thousand gal fiberglass in-ground, a one horse Hayward Max-flo pump, Hayward sand filter that holds 300 lbs of sand. I bought a HTH 6way kit and six pounds of non-chlorine shock, 4 boxes or borax and some 6% bleach and I am following the procedure as outlined on this page: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/conv...-chlorine.html. I added the non-chlorine shock almost 36 hours ago. I tested the water 24 hours after adding the shock and the results are TC: 1ppm, TA: 70 ppm Ph:7.2. The easiest way I have of testing the baquacil level is the test strips. According the conversion page I am looking for a baqua reading of 10ppm. I believe that I am below the target level and can start the next step of the process. Any guidance on the next step is appreciated. Oh, I did order a real test kit through your link to Amazon.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

1. Start adding PLAIN 6% household bleach at the rate of 2 gallons (or (3) 96oz jugs ) each EVENING. Filter / pump on 24/7
    2. See if you can get the HTH 6-way kit at your Walmart (check availability)
    3. If not, get a cheap OTO/phenol red testkit.
    4. Add bleach doses EVERY evening, unless OTO shows DARK yellow.
    5. Brush the pool completely at least every other day.

Here's an idea of what to look for: Photo-resurrection-Baquacil-conversion-in-summer-2004

6. Once the WATER is done, replace the sand in your filter.
    7. Begin adding stabilizer.

Status update on conversion. I have added 4 182oz bottles of bleach 8oz Calcium Chloride, 16oz Sodium Bicarb since my last post. I have tested using a HTH 6way kit TC: 2-3 ppm, Ph <7.2, TA 90ppm. Today I brought a water sample to my local pool store. I informed the staff that I had used non-chlorine shock at the beginning of the conversion process. The test system there is a ClearCare Expert Computerized Water Analysis System. I informed them that I am converting the pool from Baquacil to chlorine. The results are : FAC 2.3, TC 9.28, CC 6.98, TA (input) 121, TA (Adjusted) 65, ph 7.6, Calcium Hardness 197, CYA 167. The staff informed me to wait a week and check the CYA level again. I am somewhat concerned about the CYA since I have not added any stabilizer at all. I have read differing opinions about adding calcium to fiberglass pools, so I would appreciate a definitive answer if there is one.
    20' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; bleach; Hayward sand filter; Hayward 1hp Max-flo pump; hrs; K-2006; city; PF:7.5

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you haven't added any stabilizer, then there's none in the pool. That's why we strongly recommend doing your own testing and not relying on the pool store, whose testing methods are designed to sell you things. Do yourself a favor and get your own test kit--we recommend the K-2006 that can be found in the testkit link in my sig.

Hopefully you're through with the conversion by now--how does your pool look?
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by telesforos View Post
    ClearCare Expert Computerized Water Analysis System.
    As in, Clearly We Care Enough 'Expert' You Into Buying Stuff You Don't Need

Cool Re: Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

I think I on the home stretch. The pool "looks marvelous". I received my k2006 kit on 6/7 and the results are below. the pump has been running almost continuously since I started, I sometimes gave the pump the night off, I tested the water in the morning and added chlorine in the evening. I am trying to maintain the FC level at least 1ppm overnight so far I have not had any luck. I have changed the sand in the filter yet, that will happen in two weeks. I use cal hypo to shock the pool and on occasion have used it in place of bleach. I have been using the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to assist me with quantities.

6/7/2012= (FC=.2ppm, CC 5 ppm, ph 7.6, TA 90 ppm)
    6/9/2012=(FC=1.2ppm, CC=1.8ppm, CH=150ppm, TA=100ppm, ph=7.4)
    6/10/2012(FC=.2ppm, CC=1.4ppm,Borate >15<30, ph 7.8, TA=100ppm, CH=140ppm)
    6/12/2012(FC=.4ppm, CC=4ppm,Borate >25<30, ph 7.6, TA=100ppm)
    6/14/2012(FC=.4ppm, CC=1.4ppm, ph 7.6, TA=100ppm, CH=140ppm)
    6/15/2012(FC=1.4ppm, CC=1ppm, ph 7.6, TA=100ppm, TH=180ppm)
    6/16/2012(FC=.6ppm, CC=2ppm, TH=180ppm)
    20' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; bleach; Hayward sand filter; Hayward 1hp Max-flo pump; hrs; K-2006; city; PF:7.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I am assuming you meant to say that you had not changed the sand in your filter yet. You need to be keeping your FC higher since you have that CC reading. You started this conversion quite awhile ago. I would think it would be done by now. Go back and reread Ben's advice above about amounts of chlorine to be adding and get the FC up so you can get this thing finished.

You're gonna be so glad you did the conversion!

+ Reply to Thread