+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taylor Fas-DpD Test Kit K-2006

Default Re: Taylor Fas-DpD Test Kit K-2006

Let's do a chlorine demand test. You'll need a cheap OTO kit, as well as the K2006.
    Ok I did just as you said and the color was kinda a reddish orange, not sure if I would say it was dark, I retested an hour later and there was no change in color.....maybe I should've snapped a photo.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-29-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: fix quote
    20x40 IG vinyl liner; 300lb sand filter with a 1 HP pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sounds like you're good to go!

You'll need to get some stabilizer in there. If you have a Sams Club nearby, and have access, one easy way is to buy their 24lb box of dichlor shock, for about $2.50/lb (at least, that's what they charge here). Almost every other retailer of dichlor, including Walmart and Costco, is selling a variety of hodge-podge blends, that should be avoided! You can check at HomeDepot and Lowes, but you have to be an expert label inspector, to avoid the stuff!

Anyhow, 24lbs of dichlor will add about 50 ppm of chlorine, and about 45 ppm of stabilizer to your pool.

If you can't buy from Sams, you can usually find unblended (100%) stabilizer locally, though it's often quite expensive. 1 lb will add about 4 ppm of CYA to your pool, so you probably want at least 10 lbs.

As an alternative, you can get trichlor tabs from Sams in a 40# bucket, and use them in a floater or your skimmer, along with bleach to stock. Again, most other retailers are selling hodge-podge trichlor, often with copper (= stains & green hair) added.

If you can't find what you need locally, you can get the products from Amazon:
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22.5 lbs @ Amazon
    Kem-Tek 3" Trichlor 35lbs @ Amazon
    Kem-Tek 879 Pool Floating Tablet Dispenser
    Regardless, if you use bleach for shocking, you should be able to avoid having your CYA get too high, over the course of the summer.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Sounds like you're good to go!

You'll need to get some stabilizer in there. If you have a Sams Club nearby, and have access, one easy way is to buy their 24lb box of dichlor shock, for about $2.50/lb (at least, that's what they charge here
    So I should get this shock and use all 24#'s immediately? What about maintenance shock, use the same stuff or just the chlorine pucks and/or bleach?

Thanks Sam
    20x40 IG vinyl liner; 300lb sand filter with a 1 HP pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech2 View Post
    So I should get this shock and use all 24#'s immediately?
    Get it, but do not use it all at once. You don't need 50 ppm of chlorine right now!

What about maintenance shock, use the same stuff or just the chlorine pucks and/or bleach?
    You can't use pucks to 'shock' a pool: they dissolve too slowly. But you can use bleach (and leave the CYA unchanged) or dichlor (and raise CYA too).

+ Reply to Thread