+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neighbor with Yellow water after adding acid

Default Neighbor with Yellow water after adding acid

Hi there,
    My neighbor has a yellow pool. It turned yellow after adding acid -he added 6 gallons of muratic acid to a 33 ft. above ground pool, which I"m guessing got his PH down to somewhere in the 5's, but my taylor kit wasn't able to measure.

I'm going to break out my borax and help him get his PH back up. He said his chlorine is high as well, but I didn't test that b/c I was too worried about the low PH.

Thoughts on best approach to get things back into line? Also are there any thoughts about why it turned yellow? It's super clear...just yellow.

Thanks,
    Doug

PS, on a side note my 35k gal inground is crystal clear and blue...ready for swimming for me and the neighbor :-)

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Neighbor with Yellow water after adding acid

6 Gallons of 31.5%?!! Like a hundred pounds of Borax. half that for 15.7% YIKES! Hurry! There will be no liner left. Don't really know - Very complex to calculate pH.

Is the liner at risk?

Oh - and yes, it was 31.5%. I ran over with my 4 boxes of spare Arm and Hammer washing soda and got them in (12lbs) and he's off to walmart for a crap-ton of borax.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Its what the pool store told him.... he's got 12 lbs of my stuff and 20 lbs borax in. He needs to find more as he cleared out walmart.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Tell him to buy "Washing soda" if he can't find borax. But, be careful. Washing soda will raise the pH more than borax. So he should be adding 2 boxes of washing soda or 4 boxes of borax via the skimmer, waiting 30 minutes to an hour; testing and then repeating if he sees no change in pH. Once he sees the SLIGHTEST increase in pH, he needs to drop back to 1 box of washing soda or 2 boxes of borax . . . OR he will overshoot and end up with high pH.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    Its what the pool store told him
    Probably from a computer print out because the TA was high. THIS is a reason I do not like computerized pool store testing (and I have done my share of it and crossed out their print out instructions and wrote what they were REALLY supposed to do.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hope Doug is UPHILL from his neighbor.....
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread