+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Products 48' DE Filter Model #584090 - Need Owner's/Operating Manual

Question American Products 48' DE Filter Model #584090 - Need Owner's/Operating Manual

Love the site and see I'm not alone with lots of pool issues. I too have my own set of horror stories, but right now, for many reasons, I'm on the hunt for an American Products 48' DE Filter Model #584090 Owner's/Operating Manual. Does anyone know where/how I can get a copy of one?

Two of the reasons for wanting the manual are, (1) wanted to know what was the manufacturer's recommendation (how much) for adding new DE to the filter after a backwash, and (2) after just now taking apart the filter grid (having to replace a couple of severally damaged grids), I need some assistance in getting the whole filter grid back together again - need the diagrams and any instructions/tips on getting the grids back in place without doing additional damage.

Any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Terry

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: American Products 48' DE Filter Model #584090 - Need Owner's/Operating Manual

Hi, Terry, and welcome to the Pool Forum! I assume that you have called the company that makes it and also looked on their website to see if it can be downloaded?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: American Products 48' DE Filter Model #584090 - Need Owner's/Operating Manual

American Products is DOA, though I think Pentair has some of those products. If you search by the model name & number, rather than the product #, you may find something via Google.

I'll ask Waterbear, but I don't have any of those manuals.

Ben

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to The Forum!

Can you post a pic or 2? I know a bit about DE filters and may be able to help.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Post the pic via Flickr, Picasa, or a similar service OR send it to poolforum@gmail.com

Thanks Watermom, PoolDoc (Ben), and Waste (Ted) -- Ben, you are correct that American Products Company is no longer and that Pentair apparetly did buy them up (or just their business). I have been searching across the internet on-and-off for some time but "no joy" in finding an owner's manual. Anyway, after a night's sleep and a relaxing morning cup of coffee, I went back out to tackled the filter grid. Being a firm believer that most items are desiged to be taken apart and/or put back together again without much if any force, I was able to put the 7 full/1 partial grids back into place in the frame in about 15 minutes and then back into the filter canister without much trouble. (Link to PoolCenter.com's diagram very similar to my DE filter system: http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filt...s_Titan_CM.htm.) I'll send pics and pool specs a bit later.

I'm using a mix of aftermarket replacement filters, particularly the UNICEL model FG-1004, which doesn't seem to affect the performance of this old DE filter system, but this is also indicative of what I'm having to do with all of the pool's plumbing (thankfully, the pump motor is still running strong - but the Polaris is definitely dead). The problem is, as with many of your new members, I'm a pool-newbie (bought this house w/pool 5 years ago - never owned a pool before) and have no idea what I'm doing in maintaining this old pool and equipment. Most everything I've learned is trial&error, OJT or via sites like yours (which, BTW, is great!). Best advice I've gotten so far from your site is help balancing and maintaining that balance in the pool chemistry. Got lots of horror sotries here alone, but in short, you've got another BBB devotee.

Thanks again, folks, and if you ever do come across that owner's manual, or know what is the proper amount of DE to add after a backwash, please let me know. (Right now, I'm only guessing based on what some other folks "think" the right amount is.

Terry

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If I am not mistaken the filter is a Titan Vertical Grid and was also sold under the Purex name. Pentair has changed part numbers on their filters when the brand it was sold under changed but the filters have remained essentially the same. You can download all the manuals for American, Purex, Pacfab, Starbrite, etc. DE filters from the Pentair website. I would download them all and see which one matches your filter. There are really only about 6 or 7 different filters (in different sizes) but the manuals cover all the sizes in a series. Also, the same filters have been released under different brands such as the FNS filters being sold under the Pacfab, Pentair, and AquaTech names (and possibly other names too). You can eliminate the Warrier skid packs (filter/pump combos) for AGPs.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks, Waterbear, Waste.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Very glad you were able to get the beast back together!

A 48" filter should take 6 lbs of DE when it's fully clean (+/- 1/2 lb)

Check out this thread
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread