+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions About Chlor Free / E-Z Pool / Tropical Splash

Default Questions About Chlor Free / E-Z Pool / Tropical Splash

Has anyone here used a product called EZ Pool?
    Last edited by Orca; 08-19-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clarify title

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: ez pool

Ah! The first annual Chlor Free / E-Z Pool / Tropical Splash question! (It's running a little late, this year!) Actually, I'm glad you asked. I was able to find a LOT more info this year, and have archived all of it.

Chlor Free -- EPA Product # 70131-1 Registration page -- is a hodge-podge chemical containing ~2% copper sulfate and a hobo soup of other chemicals. Currently, our best guess is that these are the ingredients:
    • Aluminum sulfate (alum, a flocculant)
    • Ammonium sulfate (a chloramine producer)
    • Potassium persulfate (an oxidizer, with a STRONG tendency to cause dermatitis - from the MSDS: "the oxidizer component is a skin sensitizer; prolonged or repeated contact with this product may result in the development of dermatitis, rashes, and other allergic skin reactions".)
    • Copper sulfate (an algaecide that causes copper staining and green hair)
    • Unknown, possibly baking soda

We've covered it before; I'm sure we'll cover it again.

Long story short: we think it's expensive and more likely to cause problems than to help your pool. Here's the Canadian MSDS sheet (archived @ SPR) and a recent label page (archved @ SPR).

Do you want to know more?

================
    Reference data:

Pure Pools, Inc dba API
    880 Jupiter Park Dr., Ste 14
    Jupiter , FL 33458

Also at attorney's addresses:
    Pure Pools, Inc (Edward Lyle - Atty)
    1805 45th St NW
    Washington, DC 20007

Steptoe & Johnson LLP
    1330 Connecticut Ayenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20036-1795
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

There is a manufacturer website for E-Z Pool and a PAN Database entry for the product since the copper sulfate pentahydrate requires it to be registered with the EPA as an algicide.

Shoot - guess I should have done some homework before choosing my username... Hobo soup, *lol*.
    18K gallon free-form gunite pool, Sta-Rite S7D75 DE filter, 2-speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG, Heat Siphon SX3.25 heat pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Well, or had better luck

You've had this name at least since 2006, and I'm not sure when we became aware of the "E-Z Pool" flavor of Pure Products goop. But, it's an annual issue now. If you like I can change your user ID.

Ben

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

You could always change your username to Nature 2 or PoolFrog!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

NO, thanks, Waterbear!

Thanks but I think I'll keep the user ID. Changing would be more trouble than it's worth and I'd
    rather *I* have it than someone that wants to promote the "product".
    18K gallon free-form gunite pool, Sta-Rite S7D75 DE filter, 2-speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG, Heat Siphon SX3.25 heat pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic

Default Re: Questions About Chlor Free / E-Z Pool / Tropical Splashl

That's fine -- just remember that some of us are forgetful (me!) and may wonder what's going on every so often. However, I am putting a note in your user file to help my aging memory.
    Last edited by Orca; 08-19-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: clarify title

+ Reply to Thread