+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What type of mosquito fogger?

Default What type of mosquito fogger?

We live on a relatively small lot that is backed up to some woods. Being a new pool owner I'm concerned about mosquito control. We've always had a problem with large amounts of mosquito's in our yard, and I'm guessing this will only get worse with the addition of our new pool.

After reading the Pest control - Mosquito Magnet? thread, I'm thinking that a mosquito fogger may be the choice for me. But...has anyone got any advice on fogger systems? some use canisters...some refillable. Is there anything that performs better?

thanks,
    dan

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Default Re: What type of mosquito fogger?

Little Heidi on the forum swears by a Burgess fogger. They vaporize an insecticide into a fog and you treat the area near where you sit. The effects last 4 hours from what I have been reading. You can get an electric or propane powered fogger. Burgess makes both types they only cost $60. Target online carries the electric version. My main problem with the mosquito magnet was that it was not very effective and cost a lot of money to keep the propane filled. I just bought a fogger and will report back here my results when the mosquito season kicks off and I have a chance to give it a try.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Woops I meant to say HomeDepot online.

JJ in Tx is offline ** No working email address ** JJ in Tx 0

I was just given a Burgess propane powered fogger will post some results after I use it a few times
    JJ

ok on the burgess propane powered fogger, when the it is first heating mine hissed and spit till it got warmed up. I fogged twice already once the evening i got it than again the next morning. I haven't been able to be out long enough yet to decide if it made a difference or not. they tell you to not breath the fog, but that is almost impossible to do, a respirator might be in order. Basically just wanted to give some kind of update and let you all know I didn't forget about this thread.
    JJ

Thanks for the update JJ! Much appreciated.

I may be giving some "reports" of my own as well. The mosquitos are awful this year...I've got to get something very soon. If I don't...I may get carried away by those little critters

thanks,
    dan

Ok after using the fogger several times, there seem to be quite a reduction in the number of mosquitos around. On the days that I fogged it did it first thing in the morning then again at dusk, making sure to get a good cloud under the bushes and deck area. I will be interesting to see if there is a increase in the effectiveness of the fog when I put new chemical in it, it was full when it was given to me so I don't know how old the chemical was/is and its shelf life.
    To Be Continued....
    JJ

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Thanks for posting updates. I for one appreciate it.

Peter

I just bought a fogger and some refill from AmericanVetSupply. I'll let you know how it works on our mosquito's, wasps and spiders.

take care,
    dan

I have been using a Burgess propane fogger for three years now. It is strictly for short term mosquito control. If you can find a perfect windless moment it works pretty good for killing the active ones but of course only kills what it touches. The amount of poison you can breathe in from a can of say Black Flag ready mix is very low but should still be avoided when possible. Also be aware that the fog coming out of the nozzle is very hot! It is quite easy to kill bushes, hedges and flowers if they are too close to the nozzle, try to stay 3 feet away. Just FYI, I used beneficial nematodes last year in my yard and flower beds and experienced lower numbers of fleas and mosquitos. I don't know if this was coincidental or not, maybe I can tell you next year.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread