+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Forum

Default New to Forum

I have an intex 24' x 52 pool, approx 12k gallons,633t filter says 2500 not sure what that is measurement wise. I'm having problems with spring startup. Pool went from swamp green to a light cloudy green and won't go blue.I've used the HTH super shock approx 6-7 bags and about 4 gallons of bleach in the last 2 weeks. Keeps raining so can't get a handle. I use the 6 way HTH kit. Chlorine is plus 10, ph is now 7.2, alk I stopped at 55 drops and it still didn't go red just purple,hardness 30 drops and just went purple, cya never lost the black dot probably doing test wrong. Thanks for the help in advance. crazy cat lady!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to Forum

OK.

You've got FC> 10 ppm; pH=7.2, & CYA = 0

And, you've added 7lbs of calcium hypochlorite to a 13K gallon pool, so your chlorine is too high for the alkalinity and calcium tests -- till you get the K2006, and can adjust for that.

It's going to take a week or more to filter the algae out. If you get a clarifier and do NOT overdose, it *may* go faster. Make sure you brush the pool completely, to expose any layers or piles of algae while the chlorine is still high.

You'll need to add some stabilizer, but wait till you've brushed the pool. You can add stabilizer EITHER by putting ~4lbs in a sock, in front of the return OR by using (over time!) about 10lbs of dichlor. Do NOT put the stabilizer in the skimmer -- you'll probably have to backwash before the stabilizer dissolves.

Thanks Ben,,

I keep adding bleach as I go from dark yellow at night so 10-15 on the test kit to maybe low/mid range in the day. I've been brushing the sides but can't really get the middle very well.Time to get my tidy bowl man raft out. I did add a clarifier in the start up dose for the pool size a few times as well as the hth 3x algacide that I had left over. Your method is getting out there as its getting harder to find bleach lol. I'll pick up some stabilizer tomorrow and post . Any particular stabilizer you recommend??Also I did add a quart of muratic acid after the first few shocks when the ph was off the charts. Thanks !!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You do realize that muriatic acid will LOWER the pH. Also, when you add bleach, the pH goes up, but then back down once the bleach is consumed.

If you have access to a Sams Club, you can get their PoolBrand dichlor in either their 24lb box of 'shock' bags OR their 50lb bucket. Each pound of dichlor will add about 7 ppm of chlorine, and about 6 ppm of stabilizer. So, I'd recommend the 24# box, which will push your stabilizer too high. But, the bags keep in storage over the winter better than the bucket will.

Otherwise, any brand of stabilizer (so far, they haven't begun playing games with what's in containers of stabilizer!) will do -- 4 lbs, hung in a sock in front of a return, should do.

I did know that the acid would lower the ph read it here what I didn't know was that it would come down when the bleach was consumed. I'll see where there's a Sams club or order the stabilizer from Amazon. Thanks!
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

When I buy it at WalMart, it's usually in the section with the spa chemicals.

If you need to get it from Amazon, here's the link:
    Kem-Tek Stabilizer 4lbs

Thanks guys I added a gallon of bleach last night didn't take a reading but it usually gets it up to shock level. Went out this morning tested and had zero chlorine so added another gallon after I brushed. Brushing did kick up a darker green dust . Went out an hour later and chlorine was at shock level 10 on my hth 6 way test, ph was 7.2. Pool is now a lighter green. I did add a dose of clarifier last night per Bens suggestion. I'll check out Walmart for the stabilizer. I also switch out the cartridges once a day and hose them off so I keep the water pressure up and have the filter on 24/7. Thanks and have a great holiday!! I'll post again tommorrow hope the pool clears up for my pool party on the 9th or it will be a dry day lol.
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

Which cartridges do you have? A, B, or C?

I'm asking, because I'm going to suggest you replace them with Unicel cartridges. The Intex OEM cartridges do NOT remove algae well. In fact, if you have algae, you'd be better off REMOVING the cartridges for now, till all the algae is dead. Leave the pump on, to circulate the water.

+ Reply to Thread