+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New to Forum

Those bags of shock were probably dichlor and if so, they do have CYA in them.

This link to a bleach calculator we use may be helpful to you. It is more than just a bleach calculator, though. If you click in the upper left corner, it gives you lots more.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...18-bleach-calc

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

1 gallon = 128 ounces. 2.6 gallons = 332.8 ounces. 2.6 gallons of 6% bleach is what will raise chlorine 13K gallons of water by 12 ppm. I'm not sure I'm understanding your first line of the above post?

You'll have to check the ingredient label on the super shock--if it's cal-hypo, it's not stabilized. If it's dichlor, then it has CYA--enough that for every 10 ppm of chlorine it adds, it also adds 9 ppm of stabilizer.

Ok Guys, The super shock I put in is cal hypochlorine and doesn't list anything but says 48% other ingredients. Probably no cya since my test never lost the black dot. It says it balances, sanitizes, shocks and destroys organics. Based on Aylads calculation and the fact that the pool is still light green the 182 oz jug is short if I add 2 tonight I'll have 364 oz so shouldn't raise it too much above the 12ppm. Your range was 12-15 anyway.

I was unable to get the distilled water so I have to use my hth 6 way test. After about an hour after I put in the 182 jug I get no reading so I know I'm above 5-10 the highest level on my test. In the morning I test and the level then drops to the 5-10 .I retest at 6pm when I get home and have zero so taking a day and a half basically to loose the chlorine.

Nothing is dusting up when I brush .The pool is a light green today after the 182 jug last night and it rained all night too. The stabilizer should be here tomorrow I'll add 4lbs. How much bleach after once I get the cya up?I'll test and post what I think the answer is so I can check myself too. Thanks
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The amount of bleach you add to get to a particular point won't change, but the base amount of chlorine you'll have to keep in the pool will change once you get above 30 ppm CYA. See the "best guess chlorine chart" linked in Watermom's sig above for that info...
    Janet

Ben,

I got the stabilizer today and made a slurry with hot water and the 4 lb jug and added to the pool. I hope you meant add 4 pounds at once. I'm reading the posts and according to the stabilizer label in my pool 4 lbs would get me to approximately 100ppm.I'm seeing alot of posts with larger pools at 40-50. I also added 182 oz of 6 % bleach because I was at zero tonight. From a few other pool folks suggestions I was only getting the chlorine up to 4.6 and not shock level . Janet said to use 2.6 gallons each time to get the level up.Let me know your thoughts.Pool is still light green. Thanks
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by crazy cat lady View Post
    Ben,

I got the stabilizer today and made a slurry with hot water and the 4 lb jug and added to the pool. I hope you meant add 4 pounds at once. I'm reading the posts and according to the stabilizer label in my pool 4 lbs would get me to approximately 100ppm.
    How did you arrive at this conclusion? Didn't you tell us above that your CYA level was 0? In a 13,000 gallon pool, 4 lbs. of CYA will only add 40ppm, not 100.

Watermon,

Kem Tek label says to add 10ppm add 1/2 pound so that would be 40 ppm but the chart for 2 lbs says its 50ppm so x2 would be 100 no?A bit confusing. So I'm ok then at 40. I also added 182 oz of bleach . I was at zero before the addition after I registered 5-10 on my kit. Reading was the same this morning ph was 6.8. I added another 182 oz of bleach to get it back up to shock level per Janets response earlier. I'l brush and vacuum when I get home tonight hopefully the greenish pool is a reflection from debris below . Thanks

If your pH is 6.8, you need to add some Borax to get it above 7.0. Add a half a box slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, breaking up any clumps. Let it circulate for a couple hours, retest and re-dose until you get the pH somewhere between 7.2-7.8 with 7.4-7.6 being what I like best.

Watermom, ph dropped after I added the cya was holding at 7.2.How big a box of Borax? I've seen the larger boxes not sure the size.Got into the pool tonight and vacuumed out 2 large loads of gunk, dead algea, pine needles.I filled 2 cartridge filters and clogged the whole hose 2x's. Had to give up after an hour as I only had 3 cartridges on hand and washed 2 out and put the clean one in to filter for the night. Chlorine was holding at the 5-10 on my kit after I added a second 182 oz jug this morning.Put another 182 in for the night.With 364 oz today I should get back up to shock level in a bit. Gonna need a bigger vacuum lol

I've only ever seen one size box of Borax sold in all the years I've owned a pool. It is around 4lbs.

I just re-scanned this entire thread and unless I missed it, I don't see where you have told us what kind of test kit you are using. You need to do yourself a favor and buy a Taylor K-2006. See the test kit page in my signature.

+ Reply to Thread